Thursday 15 April 2010

My Third Favourite Hurtin' Song

My final selection for a favourite hurtin' song is that George Jones classic, He Stopped Loving Her Today. Apparently, George Jones resisted recording this song because he thought it was too depressing and would turn people off. On the contrary, it became a monster hit and revived his flagging career.

The song features some lovely, lovely steel guitar which helps create the melancholy atmosphere. This video dates from 1980 when the song was first released. I thought it was the best one on YouTube because George Jones doesn't yet sound bored singing it (which he does in later videos) and his voice was at its peak (which, sadly, is no longer the case). And take note -- no mullet here, but an old-fashioned bouffant! Yowza!



And, as an extra bonus for you Canadians out there, it was recorded as part of the old Ronnie Prophet TV show. Remember him? Gawd, I haven't thought of Ronnie Prophet in, like, forever.

8 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Now George Jones I know and love. Thanks my friend. By the way, how are you feeling?
Mary

yellowdoggranny said...

now see..to me..this is the all time best 'hurtin' song..1,2 and 3..yesterday at strickly when all the people came in from the funeral the first song played was he stopped loving her today..we all cried.

Beatnheart said...

This is fun Debra...thanks for turning me on to some tunes I would normally not listen to...How are you feeling....much better I sure do hope...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hi everyone -- I'm doing pretty well. Feel tired, but okay.

Miss Robyn said...

anaesthetic take about a month to go from your body... drink lots of water to flush the kidneys and liver... and REST !!! xoox sending love

I don't listen to hurting songs.. I am a sensitive and I tend to take them into my soul.. and it makes me feel so, so sad xoxo :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

Okay, so dear George was right, I'm depressed ;-( But I don't mind, I'm a sucker for a good old "hurtin" song. Thanks hun, hope all is well.

Laura said...

:)

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

All 3 hurtin songs are good choices, drinkin songs.