Tuesday 13 December 2011

Sankta Lucia's Star Boys


Today is the feast day of Sankta Lucia (St. Lucy), the very superficially Christianized version of the Nordic Goddess of the Winter Solstice, She who brings the returning light after the longest night.

Last year I wrote about the girls called Maidens who accompany Sankta Lucia in the traditional Scandinavian Lucia pageants held on this day. This year I want to focus on the boys who also participate in the ceremony.

Sankta Lucia's male attendants are called Star Boys. Dressed in winter white like the girls, Star Boys wear tall conical hats sprinkled with stars and usually also carry a star on a stick. Star Boys walk in the procession and sing the praises of the Solstice Goddess. Their stars reflect a bit of Her sacred light during the night of long darkness and act as a promise of the greater light to come.

[Photos found on the internet]

23 comments:

Snap said...

I do love the *old* ways ... and your posts!

Mrs. Workingdan said...

very interesing!! now im going to have to call up my friend "google" and read more about this! :)

Anonymous said...

magic!

DEZMOND said...

cute kids, although I must admit anything connected with religion freaks me out.

Robin Larkspur said...

hmmm, pointy hats and stars on a stick. gotta love 'em!

Sarah Sullivan said...

Awww they are darling! Always learn new things here!I agree who can resist pointy hats and starts!! How are ya hon?? Hugs, Sarah

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Promise of the greater light to come...this is hopeful. Nice

The Dancing Crone said...

The farher north you live the greater the importance of this Goddess I think. When I lived north of 60 it felt as if we were entering a long dark tunnel in Nov. and the winter solstice was an important yearly event. I would imagine in Edmonton it must seem the same. Lovely post!

Victoria said...

Beautiful post..time of light..gorgeous little wizardy star boys! cute!
Hcugs
victoria

mxtodis123 said...

They are too cute.
Mary

Blueberry said...

Those boys are *impossibly* adorable! So cute!

Workingdan said...

Although the kids are cute and are wearing spiritual attire, I'm afraid to say that they kinda look like future Klu Klux Klan members!

My Grama's Soul said...

Interesting post......I always love learning about different traditions at the holidays.

xo

Jo

Jane said...

What cuties! I love hearing about traditions from around the world.

SUZY8-TRACK said...

Very cute! Nice to see young people embracing old traditions.

Southpaw said...

They look so darn cute.

Kathy said...

This sounds great. And those boys are precious!

Copyboy said...

Seems like a fun Sankta Lucia time!

laughingwolf said...

when i was [much] younger, still living in finland and sweden, my family followed this trad... i miss it... and my family! :(

wv: bucel... butter/becel mixed together? lol

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

"...a promise of the greater light to come." Love that! Sounds like a wonderful tradition. Very sweet boys.

yellowdoggranny said...

wow..how cool is that?

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I dunno much about that holiday, but if it involves cookies, count me in!

Rue said...

Love these pictures! I have to get my mother to pull out our childhood albums. I know she has a picture of my brother and I taking part in this one year. I don't remember the star hats - you'd think that would stand out. I guess I was more fixated on the girl with the crown of candles on her head!