Tuesday, 22 September 2026

In the Garden of Eden -- Lilith


Did you know that in the Garden of Eden, Eve was not Adam's first wife? According to a medieval Jewish version of the old patriarchal creation myth, the first woman God created was named Lilith. Just as he had done with Adam, God created Lilith from the dust of the earth. Therefore, Lilith concluded that she was Adam's equal and refused to be subservient to him. Adam complained loudly to God about it, but Lilith would not relent. Rebelling against both Adam and God, Lilith voluntarily chose to leave the Garden of Eden rather than submit and live a life of inequality.

Outside the Garden, Lilith became a Night Demon, a succubus and mother of demons. Her name in the myth is derived from an ancient Sumerian class of female demons called lilû or lilītu , which may mean "screech owl." She is described as having wings and the feet/talons of a bird of prey. Lilith is often accompanied by owls.

Clearly, this medieval myth was designed to reinforce the hierarchy of male supremacy by telling women what their punishment and social standing would be if they dared to be uppity by demanding equality. It was a stern cautionary warning to women that they should stay in their place or expect to be severely denigrated and punished.

Over the past 50 years, modern feminist movements have reclaimed Lilith as an early symbol of equality, autonomy, and independence from patriarchal control. Her rebellion is now celebrated and seen in a completely new light according to women's own interpretation.


Tomorrow -- And What About Eve?

32 comments:

  1. I had not previously known of her, but I am glad to make her acquaintance. Seems to me a few more Liliths in the world would be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Holy" scriptures will always provide a justification for anything you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can connect with Lilith. She was right!
    Hah. Equals we are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like medieval Jewish men were afraid of those talons and the strong women they represented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard this story. It would make me want to change my name to Lilith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...all of this is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Team Lilith here. Such male stuff. Win not by doing better, but by sabotaging the oppo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thank all the Lilith's we have in politics right now who are standing up, out, and loud against the patriarchy.
    Your work is welcomed and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to use Lilith as an pen name, in an effort to borrow her power I'm thinking:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A local theatre did a short play about here last year. It was pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I obviously gave my daughter Lillian the correct name.

    ReplyDelete
  12. god made Lilith and Adam equal. Adam's ego couldn't handle it just like so many men. Lilith was all fuck that shit you little whiner, I'm out of here. So of course the religion demonized her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the story of Lillith. And the idea of owls and talons reminds me of early goddess images of Inanna, who had talons as well. Mmm, a good thought is worth carrying forward!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hence Sarah McLachlan's music industry game-changer, Lilith Fair. Insert applause emoji here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ DB Stewart -- Yes indeed! And another pop culture use -- Dr. Lilith Sternin, Frasier Crane's wife on the sitcoms "Cheers" and "Frasier."

      Delete
  15. oh! now dee mum izza gonna name dee owl who bisit dee redwood tree behind owr houze Lilith!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool story! I'll be calling m'self Lillith from now on!!
    bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Forgot to say, I'm writing a horror story about a cambion, the offspring between a human and a demon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Guillaume -- Oh, I didn't know that technical term before. And here's a tip: if you stick a lot of "spicy" (to use the fiction world's current euphemism) sex scenes in your story, you can sell it to a publisher as a "romantasy" which is big, big, BIG in publishing right now!

      Delete
  18. This is my first exposure to events in the garden. Interesting

    My post today
    HERE

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lilith has long been in my personal pantheon. Thank you for highlighting our foremother!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lilith rules.
    I think the origin story totally makes sense. But making her a succubus? On brand.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is truly a beautiful post about Lilith. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I did not know that! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now I realize how suitable the name Lilith Fair was, Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the idea of there having been a Lilith before Eve and, judging by the first rendition, I'd say Lilith was a strong Black woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ BootsandBraids -- Yes indeed, and why not? Human life first arose in Africa according to Science, so why shouldn't the Garden of Eden have been there too?

      Delete
  25. I can't be subservient, but I relish being apart.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

However, comment moderation is on and no comments will be published from trolls, haters, bots or spammers.