Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Summer Orchestra Concert, Continuous Line Art, Pasquale Grasso


Here's a few things I did in Edmonton during my recent blogging break --

Summer Orchestra Concert
I attended a lovely free concert by the student symphony orchestra of the University of Alberta's Department of Music. They very ably performed pieces by Vaughan Williams, Mahler, and Rimsky-Korsakov. A truly pleasant Sunday afternoon!


Continuous Line Art Workshop
I like trying my hand occasionally at "continuous line art" (where the pen/pencil is never lifted from the paper while sketching). The workshop instructor supplied various objects for us to draw, including some plants. In my defence, I feel obliged to say that the following plant actually looked that wonky in real life, honest!


[continuous line drawing
done directly in Sharpie marker, 
with India Ink wash and accents]

Every single thing I did in the workshop later ended up in the garbage at home. This one almost did too, but I relented at the last moment and decided to post it here, LOL.


Pasquale Grasso Concert
At last month's Edmonton Jazz Fest, I was thrilled to attend a wonderful concert by Pasquale Grasso, the Italian-born New York jazz guitarist. In the following video, he is accompanying the fabulously talented singer Samara Joy (who I featured once as a "Beautiful Woman of the Day" on my other blog). And I must thank blogging buddy Tom of Tom the Backroads Traveller where I first saw this video, thereby learning of Pasquale Grasso's existence and becoming a fan!


16 comments:

  1. ...keep enjoying all of the wonderful things that life offers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goddess!
    So much fun! Love the idea of drawing without lifting your hand. I have a copy of some Picasso drawings he did using that technique. Glad you kept it!
    Free concerts? Sign me up!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did some fantastic things during your blog break. I once took a continuous line drawing class too, and your wonky plant looks way better than anything I drew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great summer, we did miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you have been busy enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like great adventures, and I love you continuous line drawing. I think that's a very difficult thing to do and yours is quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you are enjoying the rest of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your drawing is really good👍
    Thanks for telling about your great holiday experience 🎼🎸

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busy with fun is the best kind of busy! I love your continuous line drawing, thank you for sharing it with us. Def not an eye crime, lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your line art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you did some drawing at camp! And music, all the good things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I quite love your so-called "eye-crime," lol. To me, continuous line is like a favourite font. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I quite like the wonky plant piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eye crime! I’ll try that attitude change. I melt when I hear Samara Joy sing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

However, comment moderation is on and no comments will be published from trolls, haters, bots or spammers.