Monday, 20 July 2026

Monday Murals -- Amiskwaciwâskahikan

I'm taking part today in 
Monday Murals hosted by Sami.


This mural is entitled Amiskwaciwâskahikan,
which means "Beaver Hills House" in Cree,
the traditional indigenous name for
Edmonton and its surrounding area.

in Edmonton, this mural was created in 2022
by First Nation two-spirit artist, Lance Cardinal.


Traditional indigenous clothing depicted in the mural
include ribbon skirts, a ribbon shirt, mukluks, and a Metis sash.


[Photos © Debra She Who Seeks, 2026]

25 comments:

  1. Very nice. Murals can be a wonderful addition to a building ... I've photographed a lot of them during our travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous mural!
    P.S. re AI - I asked this morning "why does that FAT F***ER salute during the national anthem?" It knew exactly who I meant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So simple, but great color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for explaining the symbolism in the clothing. Nice bold colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how the artist incorporated both the natural and human-produced important elements of Cree life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is especially beautiful, Debra. I love the colors and the feel of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We need more art depicting indigenous life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the beaver and all the details inside it. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really a beautiful mural.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this mural! It's gorgeous and beautifully symbolic.
    Oregon is called the Beaver State, so I'm partial to the giant, industrious rodent. Engineers of the environment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great one, Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much storytelling in this amazing mural!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Debra, the indigenous beaver mural is beautiful, colorful, and meaningful. It doesn't surprise me, though, that the traditional Cree name for Edmonton isn't used internationally very often... Amiskwaciwâskahikan is very difficult for our tongues to pronounce...
    All the best from Austria 🤗
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/07/reisebericht-2025-zwischen-barenpfaden.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This mural is beautiful and meaningful, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boa tarde minha querida amiga Débora. Gostei muito desse mural. Quando acho, algo parecido, posto no meu Blogger, como Arte Urbana. Uma excelente tarde de segunda-feira para você e todos os seus familiares no Canadá e um grande abraço do seu amigo carioca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Luiz Gomes -- Obrigado, e espero que você também tenha um ótimo dia!

      Delete
  16. Really beautiful, Debra! I love the colours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great mural -- I love the blue and green shades used! And the influence of Norval Morrisseau' s "Woodland" style on Lance Cardinal is very evident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Tundra Bunny -- Yes, he's a great practitioner of that contemporary style of indigenous art!

      Delete
  18. Love!
    The colors are fantastic. You were in synch with Mads, who did a blue mood board!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

However, comment moderation is on and no comments will be published from trolls, haters, bots or spammers.