Friday, 21 August 2026

Freebie Friday & A Reminiscence

Blogging buddy Mary Kirkland of Dark Thoughts blog has a regular feature called "Freebie Friday" where she tells us about all the fab free items and free samples she scores in the U.S. of A. It's much, much harder to get freebies in Canada, so I haven't been able to share any comparable posts.

UNTIL NOW!

When I was in Winnipeg, Manitoba in June, it just happened to be Pride Month. One day I was idly strolling in my old neighbourhood and went into a used bookstore to browse around. An LGBTQ+ book display near the front of the store featured a bowl full of handcrafted cross-stitched Rainbow Heart key rings. A small sign said "Free! Take one! Happy Pride!"

So I did take one, and here it is --


It's a quality craft too, done on plastic canvas and double-sided so that both stitchery "backsides" are sandwiched together and hidden inside. It measures 4" long and 2" wide.

And wow, it took me right back to the early days of Winnipeg Pride Marches in the late 80s and early 90s, when Pride celebrations were still small and shunned, before Pride became more accepted and commercialized. In those days, there was no such thing as manufactured Rainbow merch. Everything we had for the celebration was handcrafted -- locally-made t-shirts by bars and queer organizations, homemade Pride flags and rainbow balloon displays, home-baked Pink Triangle sugar cookies with tinted frosting, Rice Krispie treats turned into rainbow flag goodies with the magic of food colouring. People were very inventive, like the two dykes selling hot dogs out of a mobile cart while wearing t-shirts that said "Lesbians Like Wieners Too!" And needless to say, all the floats in the March were improvised, somewhat wonky creations of artistry and defiance, blaring club music from boom boxes hidden behind the floats' scenery and gyrating bodies.

Oh, Winnipeg, those were the days.


29 comments:

  1. ... acceptance comes slowly for many even today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I still enjoy prides, it's that feeling who describe that I miss. Philly Pride still has it, which is why it's my favorite. Many of the newer gaylings will never experience that pride day feeling like back then. The keyring is cute too. Ah yes, the handmade pride swag.....those were the days.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. My memories are Orlando in the early 90s, marching with the Frontrunner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! Love the key holder!
    I do love freebies also. When I go to Pride, the first thing I get is a bag to stuff it with everything I can get. Sometimes I’m still finding Pride stuff in November. Pride is way too commercialized, tho. So many companies Pinkwash their logo that it has become a game to sort them out by the end of July.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. The days before Pride became a money-grab. I miss 'em too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those early celebrations do sound much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get a lot of Freebies either, but this one is cool! I like it. And your street sign for Memory lane works great too. Have a super Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An organic event is usually more meaningful than more commercialized ones. Here's to happy memories, Debra! 🥂

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. "Pride month" has become quite commercialized. I know a lot of people hate that but I have to remind myself that at least it is an indication of how much things have changed. Back in the 80's and 90's no major company would ever have wanted their name associated with anything gay. And to be honest, there is still plenty of blow-back.
    I remember when my son came out, around '93, '94, a friend of mine gave him a necklace with rainbow colored rings on it. He wore it...PROUDLY! That meant so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That key fob is nicely done. I do cross stitch rainbow heart bookmarks and give them to the group at my local history museum to sell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A nice trip for you, Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My brother scores all kinds of free stuff, too. I don't have the patience. LOL.

    And I would love that t-shirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our pride days and parades have generally been heartfelt and a bit more subdued until this recent generation- LOUD and PROUD! They brought confidence and joy also bringing in all sorts of people- like everyone is Irish on Saint Paddy's day- everyone is gay during pride.
    As for free stuff, we are offered too much! The landfill grows...

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Pride parades of yesteryear felt very edgy and daring. Today there are as many corporate entries as homegrown ones. But, here in Portland (OR) our parade is usually fun, funky, quirky and over the top GAY! Drag Queens, leather, bears, dykes on bikes, choirs, marching bands, alll the community comes out - and loads of families. I love it.
    It's also a great place to score some swag! Stickers, keychains, magnets, bead necklaces, t-shirts, tote bags...

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so heartening to see examples of people using their art to support others and spread benevolence.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's awesome! I'm glad you were able to get a freebie. Thanks for the shoutout too. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, freebies are almost impossible to get in Canada. The last one I got was a travel-sized plastic box of Q-tips attached to a box of 400... and that was 25 years ago! Government liquor stores also used to attach mini bottles of new liquor brands to 40 oz bottles of popular whiskey, rum and vodka for customers to try. Jeebus, those were the days, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a difference from the seventies when we knew who was gay but didn't know how to acknowledge it. I have a cousin who is 80 who has never come out to us sadly. He truly is the loveliest man and it breaks my heart that he couldn't publicly grieve the loss of his partner.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pride today is definitely different from the ones in the 80s and 90s - but we still need those parades, especially here in the US where there is still a lot of anti-LGBTQ+ sentiment found (and sometimes I feel it's getting worse again). Our Pride parader here in town is rather low key and a very happy and joyful event.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The past always seems better than the present, doesn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do miss those kinds of events. Nice to have high-end stuff and corporate money, but nothing would beat lesbians with wieners.

    ReplyDelete
  22. But ... but ... free stuff?? That's socialism and communism, and leads to the downfall of civilization! Just ask Der Furor.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved (past tense) Pride events here in region. But they became just too... commercialized. To corporate. At first it was corporate sponsorship to support the GLBT+ employees; I worked many a booth handing out swag and marching in the parades behind the branded trucks or vans. Then... it turned into "Oooo! A REVENUE stream! Let's see how much we can shill from this audience!", and us GLBT+ identified employees got left behind while contractors were brought in to work the crowds to sell services. It just... sucked. And that was ALL you would see. Gone was the Pride charm.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pride used to be such a handcrafted event, lovely. But companies wouldn't make merch for it, so there's that, because now they will. Only now it's too much merch!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That sounds like a fabulous event. So glad it has good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Pride march I participated in this summer was a little less commercial and a little more political, a throwback of sorts, but then here in the US at least intolerance has once again raised its ugly head, so I guess it's expected.

    ReplyDelete
  27. But those were happier times.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

However, comment moderation is on and no comments will be published from trolls, haters, bots or spammers.