Thursday, 17 September 2026

Farewell, Joanne


In August, blogging buddy Joanne Noragon of Cup on the Bus passed away after a long life "defined by curiosity, conviction, creativity, and a willingness to speak up when she believed something was wrong," as her obituary stated so succinctly. Her engaging blog, which I read for many years, made clear Joanne's love for family, social justice, the environment, cats, and her great passion, weaving.

Although plagued in her final years by fractures and broken bones due to osteoporosis, Joanne continued to weave and sell her beautiful towels of many colours and superb craftsmanship. Here's some photos from Joanne's blog of her loom and the towels being woven on it --


For me, Joanne was a real inspiration and role model about how to live vibrantly into our senior years. She did not give in nor give up, no matter the challenges and difficulties she faced. She was independent, self-sufficient, and fully present in her creativity and positive, informed approach to life.

I will miss Joanne and her blog. But I will remember her every time I use one of her towels, of which I have a few pairs. Here's one of her towels now, doing yeoman service as always, catching drips from my coffeemaker and fending off a Viking gnome invasion in my kitchen --


33 comments:

Tom said...

...a life well lived, a blessing.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

She was in many respects a role model for us all, a true portrait in courage. She will not soon be forgotten.

Travel said...

Fondly remembered for the things she did and stood for. I have always wanted to learn to weave.

Bob said...

She sounds like she lived a full, well-rounded life.
RIP

Parnassus said...

They finally fixed the problem with Blogger, only to reveal these sad posts from you. I admire this skilled and interesting woman, and seem to recall her from comments on your blog. I intensely regret never having discovered her writing and talents. Sometimes people's modest but pleasant comments did not lead me to investigate their blogs, and the loss was all mine, especially in a world where fine blogs and original opinions and work are increasingly rare. And I am am jealous of your possession of those beautiful towels!
--Jim

Anonymous said...

Lovely tribute. Jayne

Kathy G said...

I too think of Joanne every time I use one of her towels. I will miss her blog posts.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Oh it seems she was awesome!
Love the idea of having something to always remember her.

XOXO

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Thanks for letting us know about Joanne's death Debra. We did communicate several times through blogging. As you suggest, she was a great advert for aging with one's head held high, still thrilled by the gift of life, still engaged.

Ms. Moon said...

I have what could very well be a towel from the same run as yours hanging in my kitchen right now. It just occurred to me how Joanne's weaving has connected so many of us all over the world with her towels. A spider goddess in that way.
She has been an inspiration to me as well, and many others, I'm sure. I'm so glad I got to know her through her words, pictures, and beautiful pragmatic artwork.

RedPat said...

A nice tribute to your blog friend, Debra.
Weavers work so hard and long.

whkattk said...

True artisanship. It takes skill to do that and they're beautiful.

Ellen D. said...

She was inspirational to many and I like how she spoke her mind.

sirkkis said...

Sure she was skilful and good friend to you...
My mother could weave and the loom was borrowed now and then from her sister when she got inspiration 😀

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

That’s a lovely tribute! I too have red towels and use them all the time. - Jenn

Guillaume said...

RIP.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Debra,

I remember her from my old blog...Linda's Peaceful Place, that I had from 2012 to 2017. She was a lovely person, very kind and talented woman!
This is such a lovely tribute, dear friend.
Thank you so much for dedicating this post to her. She will be missed!

e said...

I loved her blog. What a stalwart woman! Her granddaughters have a role model to live up to. I guess I'll never get my towel but I will remember her tenacity and can-do spirit.

DB Stewart said...

Thank you for honouring her. She was a special human; I read her blog periodically and enjoyed her feistiness.

Kay G. said...

Truly a lovely tribute to a great lady. Thanks for the link to her obituary. I hope everyone will read it. It is beautiful.

Mary Kirkland said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. Lovely tribute.

Lady M said...

Wow Joan's towels are stunning! She was one talented gal.

Shammickite said...

She sounds like an inspiring lady. The towels are gorgeous, weaving is such a talent.

Barbara said...

I didn't know Joanne but she sounds like a really intesting person. Her weavings are beautiful. And, since I love all things Viking, I need that coffee cup for my collection.

roentare said...

Thank you for writing such a beautiful piece here. Celebrate her life as it is

Janie Junebug said...

Thank you for writing this post, Debra. I've been trying to figure out how to prepare a tribute to Joanne and every time I thought about it I'd cry because I was so fond of her. I have a metric fuck ton of her towels because I knew they would make great gifts but I've never been able to give them up. I love them too much. She used to weave other items, too, including the softest scarf ever that I got from her to give to my daughter. That I actually did give as a gift.

Love,
Janie

Kirk said...

RIP to your blogging buddy.

Ol'Buzzard said...

You get my age, and you find you are losing everybody. The question soon becomes not who have I lost, but who is left?
the Ol'Buzzard

River said...

I didn't know there was an obituary, so thank you for this post.

Moving with Mitchell said...

May Joanne forever protect you from gnome invasions of all kinds.

Bilbo said...

My wife is a dedicated and prolific quilter, and so I appreciate the talent of those who create wonderful things. I'm sure Joanne will be making beautiful towels in her new home.

Mr. Shife said...

Thanks for sharing, Debra. She will be sorely missed and I am grateful that I crossed paths with her on the internet.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Sounds like she had a long and full life. RIP to your kind blogging friend.