Monday, 17 August 2026

Monday Murals -- Progress Pride Flag

I'm taking part today in 
Monday Murals hosted by Sami.

In June, when I was in Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I saw this wonderful Progress Pride Flag mural
painted on a public square close to the downtown
Exchange District Campus of Red River College Polytech.


This variant of the Rainbow Pride Flag
representing the LGBTQ+ community
has a triangular insert of coloured stripes
representing transgender people and people of colour. 


In addition, this mural contains a circular insert
based on the Indigenous Medicine Wheel
to represent two-spirit people.

"Two-spirit" is a contemporary term encompassing
all indigenous members of the LGBTQ+ community.
The term was first created and adopted by indigenous
conference participants in Winnipeg in 1990
and its use is now widespread.


I hadn't seen a Two-Spirit Medicine Wheel insert before.
It felt so appropriate to have seen it for the first time
in Winnipeg, birthplace of this important term
of inclusion and respect.

[Photos © Debra She Who Seeks, 2026]

39 comments:

Tom said...

...this brightens the day!

Mistress Maddie said...

Glorious!!!!! That is a progressive one.

In Philly, in the gayborhood all the intersectional have the pride cross walks. How anyone could tale issue with a rainbow crosswalk is beyond me. Just the colors alone make most people happy.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Fabulous!
I love the idea of this flag being everywhere.

XOXO

Travel said...

Very nice.

Bob said...

That's fantastic!!!
Here, I imagine, it would have been painted over by now ...

Jackie McGuinness said...

That is a perfect flag, including everyone!

Boud said...

This is a great recognition. With one question: I've heard indigenous people use the term two spirit referring to transgender people. Has that changed?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Boud -- "Two-spirit" includes transgender people, yes, but it is a broader term, an all-inclusive one of every group in the LGBTQ+ lineup -- gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, etc.

sirkkis said...

Here is one day a year when trans people have the paraide on the street. Everyone who wants can take part.

Val Ewing said...

Having known friends all my life that have struggled with being LGBTQ, it is nice to see this in such a public place.
The town I live near is rather amazing. They have a Pride Parade each year.
Imagine that in a rural Midwestern Town in farm country!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Val Ewing -- "We Are Everywhere," as the old slogan used to say. Good for your town for having a Pride Parade to celebrate that fact!

bobbie said...

Cool beans, indeed!!
bobbie

whkattk said...

I love that circle insert! The indigenous have always known nature.

My name is Erika. said...

That's a fabulous mural. And I love the insertion of the Medicine Wheel. I didn't know it came from Winnipeg.

Jim said...

Well done.

Ms. Moon said...

I love the concept of "two-spirit" so much.

Parnassus said...

Hello Debra, I have head of the two-spirit concept, but I did not know it had a symbol, which is nicely integrated here. But is a pavement painting still call a mural? Mural means wall--remember you are supposed to be spiffing up your French.
--Jim

RedPat said...

A good one, Debra.

Duni said...

Gorgeous mural!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Parnassus (Jim) -- You're absolutely right, of course! Including about the French word "mur" meaning wall. But I thought I'd risk it by stretching the concept as far as it could possibly go! No walls can imprison the LGBTQ+ spirit!

Ellen D. said...

That's great!

Moving with Mitchell said...

So special and satisfying. I hope ICE doesn’t cross the border to remove it.

DVArtist said...

This is truly beautiful. I do like that the medicine wheel is incorporated.

Kathy G said...

Thanks. I had not seen that variation of the flag before.

Sami said...

Great mural honouring the LGBTQ community. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Debra.

e said...

Love that new (to me) version of the inclusion flag! I haven't seen one with the Two Spirit circle out in the wild, but I'm going to be looking for it now. Might even purchase one for my porch.
Lovely mural, D. And, way to go Winterpeg!

Bill said...

It's a beauty, well done!

This N That said...

Great!! Well done....

DB Stewart said...

Not only are they important signifiers, but they just say welcome so well.

roentare said...

Rainbow magic

Guillaume said...

Lovely.

Fundy Blue said...

Why is it that indigenous people around the world recognize that gender is more than male and female, and western society has such a difficult time accepting this? I think it is the "Christian" religion.

angela said...

Looks absolutely beautiful.
One day people will be accepted as they are. I hope I live long enough to see that

Kirk said...

Every now and then I fill out one of these LGBTQ surveys, and I'll often choose "two-spirit" to describe myself. It's more exotic sounding than nonbinary.

River said...

Great Flag! Staff at the hospital "no-one" works at all now wear a colourful "inclusivity" badge showing they care for anyone and everyone.

Rade said...

Very cool!

Iris Flavia said...

On one hand this is wonderful. On the other it is sad we need this. My best friend took three days to tell me she has twins with her wife back in the day. We are all but people, I just don´t get it. As long as you don´t hurt anyone love who you are and love.

Danielle said...

Houston also has one. It’s a crosswalk and in memory of a young g man who was killed by hit and run in the same location. Austin most likely has several, but I haven’t seen any yet.

baili said...

wow ,lots of progress dear Debra !