Thursday 6 September 2012

Walking the Carol Shields Memorial Labyrinth


It was a blisteringly hot August day when I visited the Carol Shields Memorial Labyrinth in Winnipeg. Thank goodness I had the foresight to wear a hat because there isn't a single trace of shade built into this design. The labyrinth is a 7-circuit Cretan one, with walkways of crushed reddish gravel outlined by countersunk brick walls.

The labyrinth's entrance is beautiful and unique -- paired "Quote Walls" of textured and engraved granite displaying various quotations from the works of Carol Shields. Her words form the physical gateway through which you enter to walk the ancient symbol of life's journey.



Prairie grasses, flowers and foliage line large portions of the walls as well. Bees, dragonflies, grasshoppers and Monarch butterflies all accompanied me on my labyrinth walk.


Native plants at the labyrinth include black-eyed Susans, harebells, lambs ear, June grass, sweetgrass and prairie lilies.


There are 3 or 4 benches found in little alcoves along the labyrinth's path in case you want to sit, rest and contemplate. The centre of the labyrinth is marked by raised walls.


It was very quiet in the park on the day I was there. It was easy to listen to the sounds of nature and have a nice meditative walk.

Tomorrow: A Carol Shields Giveaway!

[All photos by Debra She Who Seeks]

34 comments:

DEZMOND said...

it will look lovely when all the plants grow up

Lois said...

That looks incredible. Absolutely gorgeous. I need to see this someday. L

jaz@octoberfarm said...

what a beautiful place!

Anonymous said...

I have heard amazing things happen when you walk a labyrinth, I have never walked one but I hope some day to see this one.Amazing,

The Dancing Crone said...

Definitely time to visit Winnipeg again. That labyrinth looks so Canadian and so tied to the earth and yet obviously something sacred about it too.

Anonymous said...

I feel like I was there with you. How magical. You are lucky.

A Beer for the Shower said...

I'm so envious of these beautiful labyrinths you always find. A quick google search says there aren't any labyrinths within a 20 mile radius of me. What gives?

turquoisemoon said...

This one especially draws me. The plants? Maybe...don't know. hmmm

Jim said...

It would be lovely to experience this walk. A lot of work and effort was given to remember this great woman.

Bersercules said...

Looks like a fantastic memorial! It must be nice to walk it and think to yourself about all it symbolizes!

laughingwolf said...

too cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4QImbUVHmk

Jeanne said...

A very nice setting with an overwhelming sense of calmness that is transmitted even through the photos.

Debby S. said...

What a wonderful place, thanks for sharing!

Robin Larkspur said...

I could almost feel the heat from these photos. Everything looked hot and dry, but somehow despite the heat the sense of spirit and peace is quite obvious. Really appreciate your sharing of this.

SULKY KITTEN said...

This is a lovely tribute to her, and sounds like a good place for contemplation.

Unknown said...

It has a stark beauty to it and the presence of the butterflies in such a place as this represents hope and rebirth to me.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

What a lovely place to walk through, and sit and meditate in. How nice that a place this beautiful has been created for this special woman. I've no doubt that her spirit is all around it.

Southpaw said...

It's so cool now, I can't image how pretty it will look one the plant are more grown in.

RedRaven said...

That is very cool!

c. Joy said...

I had never heard of this. It looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing your walk.

Magic Love Crow said...

Thank you for sharing this! I truly want to walk this! It's absolutely beautiful!

Judy said...

Wonder if a labyrinth can be mowed into a field

fromsophiesview said...

Now I could do a lot of sniffing there, as long as doggies are allowed in!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hi Judy -- Yes, it can! The very first labyrinth I ever walked was a large Cretan labyrinth mowed into a prairie hay field. It was wonderful!

yellowdoggranny said...

I so want West to build a maze..maybe even a small one at the nursing home..sigh*

Magaly Guerrero said...

I just closed my eyes and tried to listen for the sounds of Nature. I just came back after spending a week at a remote place, and to read about the sounds made me miss the last few days...

Birdie said...

If I ever make it to Winnipeg I want to see this. Thanks for the post!

Wendy said...

How beautiful! I need to add this to the things I want to do before I turn 40 (11 months to go!!). I only live 2 hours away--surely I can swing this!

Tricky Nag said...

This is quite stunning. I will definitely visit it next time I'm in Winnipeg.

35jupe said...

I love the quote walls. How cool.

Juli D. Revezzo said...

Wow. That is lovely! What a fine tribute to the author.

Kay G. said...

How beautiful. And I love those "Quote Walls", never seen anything like it but I really like that a lot.

city said...

thanks for sharing.

Moving with Mitchell said...

This might be my favorite. I love the native plants! This looks like serenity.