This month's full moon altar celebrates Asherah, a Middle-Eastern Earth Mother and Fertility Goddess who was worshipped 3,000 years ago in ancient Israel (which was then polytheistic). She was the consort of Yahweh and was designated as the Tree of Life. Asherah was especially popular in folk religion, but there are also many references to her in the Hebrew Bible. Her statues were included and honoured in King Solomon's Temple.
Like many Mother Goddess figures, the typical Asherah statue shows her offering her breasts to nurture and sustain all life. She wears a sacred headdress very reminiscent of the one worn by the even older Goddess of Willendorf. But the most striking aspect of Asherah is her tree-trunk-like body -- no curves or big hips for her -- her body is a visual representation of her status as the Tree of Life. In ancient Israel, she was often represented by poles called "Asherah pillars." I bought my Asherah from Sacred Source about 15 years ago.
Beside her on the altar is a photo of Gustav Klimt's iconic painting of The Tree of Life (1909), symbolically composed of the sacred spiral of life. A section of this painting is reproduced on the display cabinet in which I keep 90% of my Goddess statues collection. The other 10% are outside the cabinet in various places throughout my home. It's hard to get a good photo of the cabinet because the back is mirrored. Unfortunately for proper display purposes, my goddesses are crowded very much cheek-by-jowl in the cabinet, but they are safe from breakage there and do not require dusting.
[Photos © Debra She Who Seeks, 2023]