Thursday 18 December 2008

Childhood Friends: Girlygirl

Girlygirl lived beside us. She was a very pretty girl with long curly blonde hair and blue eyes. There's an old black-and-white photo of us sitting together on the front steps. She's wearing a frilly little dress with bobby socks and mary janes. I'm the dark-haired one with the short pixie cut, tee shirt and pants.

Girlygirl's Mom used to run around in their backyard wearing only a bra and panties. She always had a glass in her hand. So Girlygirl's house was another one that my mother forbade me from entering. And of course I disobeyed, but again only once. Even though it was the middle of the afternoon, Girlygirl's Mom was still wearing her bathrobe. She sat at the kitchen table, smoking a cigarette and drinking booze out of a coffee cup. She made my teddy bear drink out of the cup too. She laughed and laughed. Everything she said was slurred. The house looked like a tornado had gone through it.

Girlygirl and her parents moved away shortly afterwards and went to live on a farm way out in the country. I don't know what happened to any of them.

No comments: