Tuesday 2 December 2008

Childhood Friends: Intro


I grew up in a small one-horse prairie town, which was (and probably still is) exactly the same as all other small one-horse prairie towns. I was ten years old in Canada's Centennial Year, 1967, which was a really big deal at our school. We had to sing Bobby Gimby's "Ca-na-da" song constantly. We had to colour endless copies of the Centennial logo. Worst of all, we were forced to memorize all the provincial flags and official flowers. I still remember them. Anyway, I want to tell you about some of the interesting kids I knew then. Most of my childhood friends were outsiders and misfits. That probably reveals some horrible dark truth about myself more than anything else, but so what! I don't know how long this series of posts will be or if they will all be consecutively posted but off we go, down memory lane!

2 comments:

Bum Atom said...

misfit, what flag is that?

No Sacrifice Bags said...

I grew up in Ontario, and was also ten when the new flag, flew in Canada. I went to Expo 67, wearing my white go-go boots and taking my clear vinyl rain coat; thinking I was so mature, mod, and space-age.
Life was so simple and full of promise, and excitement back then; wasn't it?