Tuesday 20 July 2010

Stampede Events

Okay, okay, HRH, keep yer fur on! Here's a few of the events we saw at the Stampede. First of all, barrel racing. Look at the lean on that horse!

Bull riders must be a special kind of crazy, I think. It's so dangerous -- talk about an extreme sport!

Lots of the bronc riders stayed on for the full 8 seconds. Not this poor bastard though.

I'm including this photo for all you straight women and gay men out there who might appreciate seeing some cute cowboy ass.

The track for the chuckwagon races was sloppy and muddy the evening we attended. Didn't seem to slow things down though.

It all reminded me of that old Ian Tyson song about Calgary's legendary chuckwagon racers --

Feel the horses getting crazy,
Feel the burning in their soul,
When the sun goes down in Calgary
And the wagons start to roll.
Hear the thunder of the hoofbeats,
It's a sound they know so well
As they cast their fate to the figure eight
And the half a mile of hell.


I'm sure you've figured out by now that I didn't take these photos myself -- no, they're the professional work of Calgary Herald photographers Lorraine Hjalte, Gavin Young, Dean Bicknell and Leah Hennel.

16 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Looks so exciting. It's been about 40 years since I've been at a rodeo.
Mary

Anonymous said...

Is it wrong that I got a little giddy over the cute cowboy ass??...

Jeanne said...

I think anyone who competes in a rodeo is an Extreme Athlete!
Amazing the teamwork [between horse and rider] involved in so many of the events.
I haven't been to a rodeo in years - kinda miss it. Especially because I grew up in Cowboy Country in Colorado.
{thanx for sharing the great shots - but luv Kowboy Kitty the BEST!}

brandi said...

~too funny...i had clicked on the picture of the one where he was being bucked off...thinking."wow...they took an amazing shot" i guess honesty is the best policy! the words in the song you shared...so vivid and powerful...wonderful tune to match such a moment...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

Andrea on Third Street said...

Wow, these are great! Looks like a great show. Hopefull I'll see it sometime, too. Thanks for sharing!

Wendy said...

Great photos and I like the horses better than the people riding them, but must admit the ass of that cowboy, whoooo-weeee! lol...I'd still rather take the horse though. Ty for bringing us along to the rodeo...

Snap said...

YeeHawwwwww!

Anonymous said...

woo-hoo! Wrangler jeans never looked so tasty!

RA said...

Oooh, all those cowboys with their jeans and boots.... O.O

yellowdoggranny said...

I used to go to the Mesquite, Texas rodeo all the time when I was a kid..when it was just a country rodeo ..not like it is now..
THAT? is some fine cowboy ass.

Stacey J. Warner said...

I honestly love me some cowboy ass...

much love

Anonymous said...

Cowboys are yummy.

And yep, I think they are a special kind of crazy to ride a bull. But still yummy.

Anonymous said...

Great photos, and I did enjoy the fine cowboy ass! Many thanks for the birthday wishes..I mean to rock on for many years to come!

Lynette

Intuitive Goddess said...

Love the pics! Welcome back...
Why do I have an overwhelming urge to bite that cowboys butt?

Caroline said...

WOW...what amazing photos!

laughingwolf said...

cool, thx deb :)

other than 'summer wages', i like this one best: [could be for either straight or gay singers]

Someday Soon
by Ian Tyson

There's a young man that I know whose age is twenty-one
Comes from down in southern Colorado
Just out of the service, he's lookin' for his fun
Someday soon, goin' with him someday soon

My parents can not stand him 'cause he rides the rodeo
My father says that he will leave me cryin'
I would follow him right down
the roughest road I know
Someday soon, goin' with him someday soon

But when he comes to call,
my pa ain't got a good word to say
Guess it's 'cause he's just as wild
in his younger days

So blow, you old Blue Northern, blow my love to me
He's ridin' in tonight from California
He loves his damned old rodeo
as much as he loves me
Someday soon, goin' with him someday soon

When he comes to call, my pa ain't got a word to say
Guess it's 'cause he's just as wild
in his younger days

So blow, you old Blue Northern, blow my love to me
He's ridin' in tonight from California
He loves his damned old rodeo as much as he loves me
Someday soon, goin' with him someday soon
Someday soon, goin' with him
someday soon..........
© 1991