Monday 2 February 2015

Imbolc Cyberspace Poetry Slam

Today is Imbolc, the sacred day of the Celtic Goddess Brigid. Many pagans around the blogosphere celebrate it by participating in a Cyberspace Poetry Slam which has been occurring now for several years. Everyone posts a favourite poem written by themselves or by another. Collectively, this results in a vast internet web of poetry being woven to honour Brigid, the Goddess of Poetry.


This year I am posting a favourite poem written by Bethroot Gwynn, a respected Crone and Elder of the lesbian, feminist and Goddess communities. She is a long-time feminist organizer, activist and women's land pioneer in the USA. And also a beautiful creator of women's culture and feminist spiritual practice. I read this poem many, many years ago in a We'Moon Datebook (of which Bethroot Gwynn has been a Special Editor for two decades). Her joyous and imaginative imagery of the Divine Feminine's sacred creativity inspired me then and it still inspires me today! I hope you enjoy her poem as well. Blessed Imbolc to you all!


I am the Author of All Life.
I scribble the World.
Sometimes I laugh, and galaxies spill out between my teeth.
Sometimes I whisper my secrets to the crystals and they remember -- all rocks are wise.
All fibers of being are encoded with my will, my skill.
I blink, and the light-years stretch out, curl back upon themselves.
I smile, and the universe is a beloved dream.
I am always available.
You may drink the milk of wisdom at any time.
All your thoughts are cells of my body.
All your cells are my thoughts.
You are one pure moment: matter and spirit, flesh and heart.
I am the sea you float on.
I am the air of your inner sky.
Your molecules are my dance.
Your soul is the song I sing.

                                            -- Bethroot Gwynn, 1997

39 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Love this poem. So perfect for today. Wishing you all the best on this special day.
Mary

The Happy Whisk said...

I enjoyed reading that. Many good wishes, your way.

Vanessa Morgan said...

I remember this from last year. It's a lovely initiative. Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Nice. Happy Imbolc to you and all.

DEZMOND said...

Your molecules are my dance... lol

Snap said...

Wonderful! Your soul is the song I sing. Happy Imbolc

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Wow, fantastic poem! And Blessed Imbolc to you, as well!

Mark said...

That was really good. The idea of everyone getting together to honour a spirit of poetry with a global poetry slam sounds pretty awesome too.

A Beer for the Shower said...

That's a beautiful poem. But can I just say... Bethroot? What a name! I bet you don't meet too many of those in your life.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and so calming. I love the idea of this poetry web in the goddess honor. I shall perhaps search out more.

Debi said...

Stunning image and compelling poem! Thk u for sharing! xdebi

The Dancing Crone said...

Powerful images! I would love to draw some of them. Thanks for sharing this poem and poet and happy Imbolc, Debra!

Mistress Maddie said...

I must admit, I have never heard of this but what a lovely idea of the poetry weaving all over...........

Dixie@dcrelief said...

"All your thoughts are cells of my body." Very nice ~ Great choice.(Smile)

Enjoy your celebration, my friend!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Beautiful words, thanks for sharing them. Blessed Imbolc

This N That said...

Enjoyed the poem..found it soothing in a way...Have a calm week.

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

Beautiful, just beautiful! Thank you for sharing and happy Imbolc!!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

That poem is HOT.

Lady M said...

Wow I had no idea this was all going on today...must be living in a bubble

e said...

Beautiful. Thank you!

Leanna said...

Blessed Imbolc.

Rommy said...

I like that both power and whimsy is conveyed in this piece. Perfect for today. :)

Robin Larkspur said...

Tremendous!!

Anne Johnson said...

Beautiful.

Guillaume said...

Now I know the Pagan roots of Candlemas.

Guillaume said...

...And Groundhog Day, of course.

John M said...

I learned something new!

Unknown said...

That's insanely good. I could never achieve that level of awesomness in poetry.

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting your choice of poem. I really like the picture of Brighid Cross made of pages too. So appropriate. Here is my poem for Imbolc.

https://dadokta.wordpress.com/2015/02/03/ailiu-de-imbas-the-invocation-of-the-sacred-poetic-inspiration/

yellowdoggranny said...

our love was like a car race and it's taken it's final lap..you've gone and found another...I hope she gives you the clap.

Riot Kitty said...

Sweet! You must have one hell of a calendar, or an amazing memory, to get all of these dates.

Anonymous said...

I smile at "respected Crone" - love it!

Her poem is nothing short of amazing.

Silke Powers said...

Blessed Imbolc to you as well (although I'm a day late...). I LOVE that poem and will have to copy and paste so I can reread it and also pass it on. I wish I had such a way with words... xoxo Silke

Jim said...

Just what I needed today, Debra. Thank you.

Miss Val's Creations said...

This is so beautiful!

Unknown said...

Also, I gave you an award :)

http://alifeexaminedblog.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/a-very-inspiring-blogger.html

Insomniac's Attic said...

Beautiful ... as is the picture! :)

Dr. Theda said...

Thank you dear Lady Debra for your concern....
we have 'relaxed' some-what,.... And there will be a Full Moon this Night ("Snow Moon")

Magic Love Crow said...

Truly beautiful!