Friday 16 February 2018

Determining Your Tarot Soul Card


It's been quite awhile since I did any major posts on tarot, so I am starting a new series concerning Tarot Soul Cards!

Just by way of background, I've been reading tarot for 25 years now and have always found it to be interesting and instructive. I subscribe to the Jungian view of tarot as a psychological expression and reflection of our inner self, rather than believing tarot to be some woo-woo manifestation of the Occult.

Similar to the symbol system of astrology, the major arcana cards of the tarot can be used to describe and categorize someone's soul path or soul journey through this world. Every person's Soul Card will fall into one of the following nine types:

1. Magician
2. High Priestess
3. Empress
4. Emperor
5. Hierophant
6. Lovers
7. Chariot
8. Strength
9. Hermit

These Soul Card types are often called "constellations" because each type is made up of one dominant, plus one or two secondary, major arcana cards.

To find which Soul Card is yours, do the following calculation.

First, add up the month, date and year of your birth. For example, let's say your birth date is July 26, 1943:
                                                                  7
                                                                26
                                                            1943
                                                           --------
                                                            1976

Take the resulting sum and then add each digit across: 1 + 9 + 7 + 6 = 23.

If you end up with a double-digit number, again add each digit across: 2 + 3 = 5.

The goal is to reach a single-digit number. Once you reach it, that number is your Tarot Soul Card. In this example, the Soul Card is number 5 -- the Hierophant.


Every week, I will write a post describing one of the Tarot Soul Card constellations in turn. I hope you'll play along, calculate your Soul Card number and enjoy learning about your own constellation when it is posted!

As always, anything about tarot on this blog is just meant as fun and entertainment, rather than as serious advice about how to live your life.

[Note: My reference source for this series is Mary K. Greer, Tarot Constellations: Patterns of Personal Destiny (1987)]

Next Week: the Magician Soul Card

54 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

#7 - the chariot for me.

this is going to be interesting.

my friend spo at http://sporeflections.wordpress.com also reads tarot and is a jungian psychiatrist. check him out!

Jennifer said...

#3-the empress for me!

:)

Mistress Maddie said...

I look forward to this as well. I got the Lovers. Big surprise there.

Marie Smith said...

I look forward to following. Magician here.

Bob said...

#6 Lovers!

Carol Blackburn said...

#4 Emperor

Linda d said...

#6. Lovers

Anonymous said...

#6 for me,, this will be fun!

Linda d said...

How fun!♥️

Adam said...

8. Strength

Bob Johns said...

Hmmm Magician intresting

Snap said...

Hierophant! Looking forward to this series.

Joanne Noragon said...

Me, too. #6. With days of blank time on my hands last summer, I thought I'd learn tarot. But, my brain retains little. This will be interesting.

Martha said...

#7 - Chariot
This is going to be so much fun!

Leanna said...

I'm the Hermit, which is right on the money because I like being alone. I've always done things for myself since I was a child. Makes perfect sense.
9+26+1954=1989=9

Lady M said...

An Emperor. Cool.

Miss Val's Creations said...

9 - hermit. I google what that meant in tarot and it is a perfect fit since I am such an introvert. I worked my butt off so I could work from home by myself.

Toni said...

Strength! Who knew!

Moving with Mitchell said...

I'm a Hierophant, just like your example! I'm a non-bliever in most things (that sounds terrible), but I'm really interested in your approach to Tarot, which I know nothing about.

A Heron's View said...

As number 9 The Hermit , I think it suits me quite well for I enjoy solitude as almost much as being in company. What though I wonder will you make of that ?

DEZMOND said...

what's a Hierophant, oh, Debs Mistress of Tarot :)

^.^ said...

Has been quite a while since i started believing in anything but ma self, friend D ... smiles ... Love, cat.

Unknown said...

Love your post... Please comment and follow my blog https://mrynncrrn.blogspot.com THE TRAVELLER Thanks.

e said...

#7, the Chariot. Wow, do I ever sound like a top! I guess if the shoe fits, eh? Lol.

Willym said...

Looking forward to this #5 hierophant...

Jono said...

#4 for me. Am I going to live?

Jenn said...

#3! Can't wait to read more about it!

Dr. Theda said...

Years ago was told mine is the Magician (reversed)...

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I'm a high priestess. Could've fooled me, or anyone else.
This was fun.

Happy Friday and weekend to you, the Rare One, and Your Royal Highness. By the way, she should paws for a moment to visit my blog.

Cheers.

Guillaume said...

My wife and I have a friend very much into it. We bought her one tarot deck from Montreal and she was very happy.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

#3 The Empress for this olde broad.
I'm look forward to this adventure with you, xoxo Oma Linda

mshatch said...

I am fascinated by tarot cards and my most recent story revolved around a very special pair of tarot decks loosely based on the Visconti Sforza decks. I think those are the most beautiful cards I've ever seen.

I got the Hierophant, which makes sense in a weird way.

brewella deville said...

Magician here, tah dah! Oh wait, I'm Gob Bluth? What the hell?

Bill Lisleman said...

since 3 of these have a gender associated with them what happens if your gender doesn't match? sex change?

Bohemian said...

Mine is the Magician so I can't wait til next week!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ bill lisleman -- even if a card's name is gendered, like the Emperor or Empress, the significance of the card is applicable to everyone regardless of gender.

Ol'Buzzard said...

mine is six - lovers???
the Ol'Buzzard

Dav-vid said...

Yer, whatever - now have only two cards in my pack, the Ace; and the Joker.

Kirk said...

I got #8--Strength

That Tarot card has a lot of explaining to do.

DB Stewart said...

Lol'd at your use of the word "woo-woo." Thumbs up.

klahanie said...

Hey Debra,

Turns out I'm an Empress or maybe a brand of peanut butter, eh. Interesting stuff, Debra.

"Just by way of background, I've been reading tarot for 25 years now" Good grief, Debra, you really should get some sleep! 😉

Gary.

^.^ said...

... the cat came back ... ok, i'll play ... smiles ... awesome read, friend D ... i'm a 9 ... and i have 9 lives cuz i'm a cat ... smiles ...

AntiquityTravelers said...

oh this is fun! mine is 7

This N That said...

WOW...I'm a Hermit..No surprise there..

Onevikinggirl said...

I’ll have a go at anything “psychological expression and reflection of our inner self” as long as I don’t have to believe.
Oh, look, I’m an Empress, I’ll take it.

Rain said...

This is really cool Debra. I'm the Magician, and I'm not too surprised. :)

Magic Love Crow said...

Debra!! This is so cool! What a fun treat! Thank you for doing these posts! I'm all excited! I'm number 6! Lovers!

Ur-spo said...

thank you for stopping by my blog the other day.
I have been reading tarot cards since college days; I have a collection of packs.
I am curious to hear your ideas on the cards.

My soul card is Page of Cups.

Anonymous said...

#7like AM - at least I know I’m in good company.
JP

baili said...

let me look for mine one Debra!

i found this post really interesting though i wonder if their manifestation is true or just guess

Susan said...

Wait a minute! Mine comes to 10, so does that mean I have no soul???? :) I am guessing that I would then be a 1. This is so cool.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Love this - I'm a 3 - Empress - but already knew that - now to read the rest - thanks.

Insomniac's Attic said...

This is so cool, Debra! I'm an eight. Righhttt. lol

The Happy Whisk said...

That was fun to add up.

I used to read cards but not the real way, just the way that I felt them, if that makes sense.