Monday 20 June 2022

HRH's Pride Musical Theatre

What good is sitting
Alone in your room?
Come hear the music play --


Life is a cabaret, old chum,
Come to the cabaret!


Put down the knitting,
The book and the broom,
It's time for a holiday!
Life is a cabaret, old chum,
Come to the cabaret!


Come taste the wine,
Come hear the band,
Come blow your horn,
Start celebrating!
Right this way, your table's waiting --


What good's permitting
Some prophet of doom
To wipe every smile away?
Life is a cabaret, old chum,
Come to the cabaret!


I used to have this girlfriend known as Elsie
With whom I shared four sordid rooms in Chelsea.
She wasn't what you'd call a blushing flower --
As a matter of fact, she rented by the hour.


The day she died, the neighbours came to snicker.
"Well, that's what comes from too much pills and liquor."
But when I saw her laid out like a queen,
She was the happiest corpse I'd ever seen!
I think of Elsie to this very day.
I remember how she'd turn to me and say --


"What good is sitting
Alone in your room?
Come hear the music play.
Life is a cabaret, old chum,
Come to the cabaret!"


And as for me --
And as for me --
I made my mind up, back in Chelsea,
When I go -- I'm going like Elsie!
Start by admitting
From cradle to tomb,
It isn't that long a stay.
Life is a cabaret, old chum --
It's only a cabaret, old chum --
And I love a cabaret!


33 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

Now that's the way!!!!! This is why gay prides are still very important and needed....it could be someone's first step on a new journey.

Bob said...

Yes yes yes.


The dog in the Pride babushka slayed me.

Laura J said...

This is fabulous!

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Oh. My. Goddess!
The kitty at the window and the white doggie with the cape? Yes, please!
Happy Prride!

XOXO

Frank said...

One of my favorite soundtracks.

Travel said...

Love it, thank you

Moving with Mitchell said...

This should be blasted around the world.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i could just picture joel grey....i always loved that guy!

Hena Tayeb said...

Oh the dog in a turtleneck!

Boud said...

This is great! Purrfect.

Marcia LaRue said...

What a beautiful tribute to the Month of Gay! 🎶🎵 I sang the tune in my head! 🎵🎶

Adam said...

I saw a dog rocking the rainbow recently

Mike said...

I love the zebra.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Oh hon, I know know how much of HRH's influence went into this, but it's simply fabulous. Fabulous. Why am I giving her credit? It's all your doing. Tell her I said so. I love this. Thank you.
Pride and cabaret. The show goes on!

Ur-spo said...

How jolly !

CraveCute said...

What a beautiful post in so many ways. Rainbows are lovely and so inclusive and just a perfect symbol of PRIDE!

Bill Lisleman said...

I enjoyed the pics - Happy Pride.

Her Royal Highness said...

@ Rawknrobyn -- I assure you, Ms Engel, that I PREPARE ALL MY OWN POSTS! My no-talent human has NO input into them whatsoever. She's JUST DAMN LUCKY I raise the TONE and QUALITY of her blog.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Fabulously dressed pets! Now I will have Cabaret in my head the rest of the night. Showtunes are the best!

Joanne Noragon said...

That rainbow hoodie sweater on a dog is a cat's meow.

H.R. Bennett said...

Haa... gay!

In all seriousness, love the lyrics/poem. It builds very nicely and I feel like it would make a great song.

Tundra Bunny said...

Although it PAINS me greatly, I must admit that HRH's Pride Musical Theatre is terrific! As with all good productions, it takes you on a journey from sadness for the lonely cat in the window to joy at that whippet in a knitted rainbow sweater!

Busy Bee Suz said...

So what you're saying is LIFE IS A CABERET?
Love the happy critters!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, YRH. You've captured the essence of pride so masterfully. Thank you for sharing your insights and vision with us mere mortal humans. Spectacular, as always
E

Martha said...

LOVED this post, Debra! You share the best stuff.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Hope your first day of summer was a good one.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Kirk said...

Weimar Republic or bust.

DVArtist said...

I really love this post.

Lady M said...

I never knew all the words to that song - it is quite the tale.

The Blog Fodder said...

Sang the words. Happy Pride Month

Breenlantern said...

Ahem....Don't you mean life is a CAT-baret?

FUN post, D!

The Captain said...

Sending love and solidarity 🏳️‍🌈

I always taught my children to find their own way in the world and to not be scared of who they are. I wanted them to not have any barriers and I think I did good. It's not just about them, it's about their attitude to others too. Love is love.

Fundy Blue said...

I loved this, Debra, from the beginning to the end!