When I was a university student, I was fluent in French. Never bilingual, but sufficiently fluent to take some undergrad university courses meant for francophone students. For example, I took a literature class taught in French, read all the assigned novels in French, wrote the essays and took the exams solely in French.
Then I went to law school and the legal profession took over my life. D'oh!
No time anymore for French (or scarcely anything else). Needless to say, my French deteriorated over the next 45 years due to insufficient use. Oh, I could still get by in a conversation if I had to, but opportunities were few. If I'd had any ambition to be appointed to the Bench, I would have kept up my French because bilingualism helps to climb the ladder of the Canadian judiciary. But my only ambition was focused on taking early retirement from lawyering if I could swing it, LOL.
I had vague plans to do something about my second language skills once I retired. French is another area I wanted to reconnect with "just for the fun of it."
And now I've started to do just that. So I'll be posting about my Adventures in French over the next while.
Spoiler Alert! It's been a real mixed bag so far!


12 comments:
When my wife and I planned our trip to Quebec a few years ago, we resolved to learn at least survival French to meet the locals halfway. Sadly, everyone we met spoke better English than we did. I'm sticking with German.
Dear Debra,
Unfortunately, I only had one year of school French (but that was enough to manage a conversation four years later in Paris with a homeless person, a Tunisian, a policeman, and a nun. Well, "conversation" is perhaps a too strong a word 😉🤪)
A few years ago, I tried a refresher course at an adult education center. Well... A little later, I also took a Spanish course. But I don't like the way languages are taught here in Austria. It's not practical enough for me—I need travel French (or Spanish), not perfect grammar. And my vocabulary memory is not as good as it used to be... I'm curious to hear how your French adventures are going!
Regarding the Nanaimo Bars: I've seen recipes where the coconuts were replaced with other nuts or almonds... I don't "need" them though, because I like to save the sweets-calories ... for example, for a good beer 😉
All the best from Austria 🤗
Traude
Same here. I had a real strict French-teacher - and even chose him! - so my French was pretty good.
But over the years.... I tried Louis de Funés and... failed, I had to switch to German (post even on the way, LOL).
When I was 14 I bought Le Petit Prince from my pocket money and have the book still.
My first love was Thomas from Rouen. I spent two weeks with his family... Thank you for the memory.
I can manage in a store, and order in a restaurant in French, all of the ability I need.
OMG same!
I started at the Alliance Française as a hobby and it turned into a minor when I started college. It’s pretty rusty now, but once in awhile I’m able to use it and I’m surprised how much I remember.
And those are certainly my other languages as well! Great minds think, am I right? LOL
XOXO
Oh well done! I shall look forward to it.
Good on you. Never stop learning.
PS If you need a tutor I am fluent in Sarcasm. And I speak Bitch as well.
...and I struggle to be fluent in English!
I think this is an excellent idea. You'll probably be waking up parts of your brain that have been comfortably snoozing for many years.
My ex-MIL used to spout off French phrases all the time. I'd taken Spanish in middle school and then wished I'd taken French instead. Now Spanish is all over the US and I can't remember diddly. LOL
Good luck with that, Debra. I am sure it will come back.
Taking early retirement over climbing the judicial ladder sounds like the ultimate win, Debra! Reconnecting with French 'just for the fun of it' is such a rewarding project. Bring on the spoilers and the mixed bag—looking forward to reading all about your adventures.
Post a Comment