Friday, 24 July 2026

Friday Face OFF -- Lucky Cat

For today's Friday Face OFF link party
of art featuring faces, hosted by Nicole of


Got a cute little face to show you today!

This is one of the Lucky Cats 
I have in my personal collection.

Also known as Maneki-Neko or Beckoning Cats,
these figurines bring good luck, good health,
and prosperity according to Asian culture. 


[drawn freehand directly in permanent
black & red ink and painted in watercolours]

This particular Lucky Cat already made
an appearance on my blog earlier this year,
along with Kwan Yin the Female Buddha
and some other buddies, as part of


[Art and photos © Debra She Who Seeks, 2026]

33 comments:

Bilbo said...

I fear that our national lucky cat here in the USA has been replaced by a screaming rabid jaguar.

Tom said...

...be as lucky as the cat today.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

I’ve seen the Lucky Cat in countless restaurants!
And I really like that altar!

XOXO

Bob said...

Lucky Cat makes me smile.

My name is Erika. said...

You have some cool lucky cats. I have a tiny one and also a Lego one I built a couple of years ago. I love how yours are all round and tubby, very lucky cats indeed.

Iris Flavia said...

To luck! I sadly cannot have a cat for real. But I have two toy.-ones I might post :-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Iris Flavia -- Toy cats are ideal! No litter box to clean!

Christine said...

Love it! I need one of those.

whkattk said...

They all have smiles. I like that!

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love it!

Ms. Moon said...

There is something just so uniquely precious about a Lucky Cat. Love your rendering.

DVArtist said...

You make drawing free hand with ink look so easy and carefree. Your alter is stunning. You have created both the ink and alter to feel free and happy. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a wonderful weekend.

an artist reflects said...

Adorable Lucky cat and you painted it so well ~ Hugs ^_^
the buddha and kitty display is wonderful too ^_^

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

What a sweet kitty painting with its paw up.
Love the alter. Must look around for a lucky cat.
Have a good weekend…

Carola Bartz said...

Your ink drawing of the lucky cat is fabulous, Debra. I've seen so many of these cats here in the States, but funny enough I never saw them while I was living in Taiwan in 1983 - at least I never noticed any and being such a cat person I'm sure I would have noticed. I really like the altar that you created.

Lisca said...

Hello! And thank you so much for visiting my blog and commenting. Your Maneki-Neko is very cute. And now I see him/her for real on your table. More than cute actually.
Happy Friday!
Lisca

RedPat said...

It would bring smiles to everyone who sees it, Debra.

Duni said...

Your freehand drawing is amazing! I love your lucky cat collection. I also have a Maneki-Neko. It sits in my studio :)

Moving with Mitchell said...

I do love that altar. The cat drawing/painting is beautiful. You get better and better at your crafts.

Tundra Bunny said...

Your drawing of that rotund little Lucky Cat is delightful! It would make a great greeting card too.

Fundy Blue said...

I see these beckoning cats everywhere, Debra. The one you drew and painted is adorable. Have a great weekend!

Mr. Shife said...

Debra, your freehand ink work is incredible! Drawing directly in permanent ink with no safety net takes so much confidence, and you captured that sweet, tubby Lucky Cat face perfectly. The watercolor washes give it such a warm, joyful feel. Loving the full moon altar photo too—Kwan Yin and Lucky Cat make a great team. Hope it brings you tons of good luck and prosperity this weekend!"

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Debra, I often see Maniki-neko in Chinese restaurants and stores here in Montreal. I smile 😃 every time.
Thanks for sharing, dear friend.
I hope you have a lovely weekend.

DB Stewart said...

Don't you mean jammy cats? ;)

Gene Black said...

I haave also seen a number of the Lucky cat statues. Now I know what they mean. they always make me smile.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ DB Stewart -- Hahahahahahaha, yes, I stand corrected!

River said...

I see plenty of those lucky cats and the ones who actually wave, in the part of my city we call Chinatown, though it is just a few Asian grocery stores and eateries. Our Central Market is in the same block and both are very popular.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I hope they are bringing you lots of good luck.

CaptainKirt said...

Theres a shop in my local shopping centre that sells loads of these, quite hypnotic to watch.

lissa said...

Cute drawing. I'm cheered looking at it.

Have a lovely day.

Kirk said...

I like how the cat seems to be attempting a salute.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I saw a Maniki-neko cat in a Chinese restaurant I sometimes visit. I love your Lucy cat drawing. It is wonderful. I also like your collection of cats. I'm definitely a cat lover, too.

Happy belated FFO.

Modrina Neba - Blue sky said...

Ohh fantastic Debra!