Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Farewell, Cal


Late last month, blogging buddy Cal Heighton of Red Deer, Alberta passed away after battling cancer. He was the prolific, quirky blogger behind Cal's Canadian Cave of Cool. After finding his blog in 2010, I became a daily reader and commenter there for 15 years.

I enjoyed Cal's sense of humour, his fascination with comics and superheroes, his aesthetic appreciation of art and design, and his political astuteness about Canada, the USA, and the world. He also loved cats and his Ukrainian heritage (except beets). I learned a lot from Cal over the years and yes, he is why I'm now hooked on Marvel movies and fandoms. A lasting legacy or continuing curse, depending on your viewpoint, hahahaha.

As do we all, Cal had his issues and shortcomings which negatively affected his life. But his blog gave many people a welcome respite and break from the cares of the world, and I know he will be greatly missed in the blogosphere.

I like to think that Cal is now free to roam the universe as he always dreamed of doing, exploring and experiencing his True Life, going boldly where no one has gone before.

To Infinity and Beyond, Cal!


35 comments:

Rade said...

I wish I would have found him sooner.

Thank you for the memorial post...

Bilbo said...

So many bloggers to follow, and we find many of them only after they're gone. Sigh.

Tom said...

...Cal was a bright spot that I wasn't aware of.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Sorry he’s gone.
His presence stays.

XOXO

Bob said...

Hopefully he's traveling all over the universe now.
RIP

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Life on Blogger mirrors flesh and blood experiences and inevitably we lose friends. Over the years I have been blogging there must be at least twenty who have died, and others who simply ceased to blog, and I suspect a few of them have gone, too. A few years ago, I made a trip to the UK, stayed with one blogging friend and spent quality time with another; both are now gone. Like your recollection of your friend, I cherish the good times we enjoyed together. May Cal's memory be a blessing for you.

Travel said...

Immortality is being remembered.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute. I’m sorry I never found his blog. Jayne

My name is Erika. said...

He sounds like he was an interesting man, and I wish I had known is blog. And since you asked about where in Canada I was traveling to, we're going back to Nova SCotia where we visited last year and then heading over to Prince Edward Island which is a new Province for me. :)

Duni said...

What a thoughtful tribute to your blog friend Cal.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

What a lovely tribute to Cal. And he came from Red Deer - the home of Hiawatha House by Keith Kline.

whkattk said...

What a great photo. He looks like he was a fun guy.

RedPat said...

I wish that i had known about his blog, Debra.

Miss Cellania said...

I am so sad to hear this news.

Tundra Bunny said...

I really enjoyed Cal's blog too, especially his wit in writing captions for his Caturday posts. RIP Cal.

Diana said...

What a beautiful tribute to Cal, my condolences on this loss. It's clear he held a special place in the blogosphere and in your life.

Rostrose said...

Dear Debra, thank you for letting me know that you’ve returned to the blogging world after your trip.
I am so sorry to hear that you lost your blogging buddy, Cal! Let’s wish him the best—yes, exactly:
that he can now roam freely through the universe, just as he dreamed of doing...
Hugs to you and all the best, 🤗
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/09/sommerliche-tage-ein-bunter.html

EricaSta said...

Oh... it's sad about Cal. RIP. I know what you meaning. I lost a wonderful blogfriend 2020 at corona and miss our conversations.
Greetings by Heidrun

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Debra, I didn't know him, but I think this is a lovely tribute to your blog friend! Thank you so much for sharing this.

Ellen D. said...

Blog friends have become like real friends to me and it's always sad to lose one.

DVArtist said...

This is a wonderful tribute to Cal.

Kathy G said...

A lovely tribute to your virtual friend.

Bill said...

I didn't know him, but those words are a very tribute to your friend.

Janie Junebug said...

I didn't know Cal, but it's always difficult to lose a blogger friend. So glad you've returned.

Love,
Janie

Lady M said...

I have certainly heard of Cal's blog and think I read it once or twice. You wrote a lovely memorial for him.

Kirk said...

I've been wondering about him. His blog title is in my sidebar, and beneath that title it reads "One year ago" meaning the last time he posted something. I'll keep it in my sidebar as a kind of memorial. I can't remember exactly how I found Cal's blog. Most likely, Debra, I saw it in your sidebar, but there's also a chance that my site meter told me he'd check my blog out, so I decided to check out his. However I found him, I did enjoy his daily dispatches from the world of comic books, grindhouse movies, and cosplay. Thank you, Debra, for informing us of his passing. RIP Cal.

Val Ewing said...

Wonderful tributes.

Parnassus said...

Hello Debra, I'll admit that I checked out Cal's blog a few times, but never knew quite what to make of it. But by not sticking with it a little until I knew what was what I missed out on a real experience. I am sorry that you lost two such good and worthwhile friends in a row.
--Jim

Guillaume said...

RIP.

e said...

I found his blog through yours, Debra. He was definitely Cool-with a capital C. Rest in the Stars, Cal

DB Stewart said...

Oh, I remember him well! I didn't blog as much when I was finishing my Master's degree and I lost track of some favourite bloggers. Good human. Again, very thoughtful of you to honour him.

Mary Kirkland said...

So sorry to hear that. This was a nice tribute to him.

roentare said...

It is so sad to see many bloggers passing. We all become some sorts of friends that know each other's feelings and stories

baili said...

dear Debra i feel so touched by your tributes to blog friends have left this visible world and entered in to freer and better world now !
i believe i might have visited his blogs at the beginning of my blogging but then my parents passed away and i was absent for longer period on return i might loose some blogs from my sidebar accidentally or i don't remember how .
through your tribute he feels beautiful soul ! may he flourish in his new home peacefully !

CaptainKirt said...

I never came across Cal's blog, that's definitely my loss. I'm so sorry for your loss - what a marvelous tribute.