Monday, 28 September 2026

Monday Murals -- Spirits of the Land

I'm taking part today in 
Monday Murals hosted by Sami.


Wolf and Eagle embody and protect the wilderness
painted on a traffic controller box at a busy intersection
in Winnipeg's Osborne Village neighbourhood.


It was painted in 2016 by Misty Greyeyes,
a deaf First Nations artist living in Winnipeg.

Here's a short video in which she speaks
about her life, art and aspirations.


[Photos © Debra She Who Seeks, 2026]

47 comments:

Boud said...

Misty also qualifies for Beautiful v woman of the Day!

Tom said...

...a fabulous urban canvas!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It really does enhance the urban landscape. Bravo for Misty.

Duni said...

These are amazing! I like how the painting wraps around the entire box.

Jackie McGuinness said...

It is gorgeous! Interesting woman.

angela said...

I find sketching and painting on a small canvas hard enough. People who can do murals are magical in my opinion. They’re all beautiful

Rade said...

I love these!

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Loves it!
There are similar projects here,
I think it’s fantastic that they offer these kind of canvas to talented artists!

XOXO

Bob said...

Love that one. Love that not all murals have to cover enormous walls!

Liz Hinds said...

Those are gorgeous. I should have taken photos of the ones I spotted today.

My name is Erika. said...

That's a gorgeous traffic control box. I think they all should be painted! :) Happy new week.

magiceye said...

All lovely art!

Pixie said...

These are beautiful and I recognize that street.

Travel said...

Wonderful work. The routine things in life, like a signal control box, need not be boring.

Marcia LaRue said...

They are all beautiful!

whkattk said...

Those are beautiful! Much, much better than the ones they've been doing around here.

sirkkis said...

Really clever and beautiful murals; interesting video, thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ’™

Sami said...

It's beautifully done. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Debra.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I love that the city turns these boxes into canvases. Wonderful little video!

ellen abbott said...

I love public art, all kinds of public art, even the kind that may have me scratching my head. Years ago in Houston some committee picked half a dozen artists, maybe more, don't really remember been that long, picked one of their paintings and had billboard size prints made and put up all around the city. It was great.

Hena Tayeb said...

Beautiful.

Linda Sue said...

what a story! A stroke at age three? She has done very well. her art on the power boxes is fabulous , adds so much beauty to the city. I guess jehova witlessness is good for something eh? Signing is such an important language, would be great if everyone was taught sign in school.

Bill said...

Beautiful art, she's amazing!

Polly said...

My youngest daughter used to live in Fremantle Australia, they had some wonderful murals around the town.
I like your bee images on your side bar ๐Ÿ˜Š

RedPat said...

These are wonderful, Debra.

Iris Flavia said...

Very, very beautiful!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

How gorgeous, Debra. Wonderful inspiring story as well.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

She is a beautiful lady and has a great disposition and outlook on life. She has had health issues, both mental and physical, and she found people who cared about her and believe in her.
She finds joy ๐Ÿ˜Š and comfort in her art.
Truly, she us an amazing woman with great talent ๐Ÿ‘
Her story and her art are very inspiring.

DB Stewart said...

Her work just brings extra light to daily life. Plus her name? Fantastic.

e said...

Her work is beautiful and so is she. I'm glad she's following her path and bringing art into the world.

Bertiebo said...

That is really very nicely made. It’s impressive!

Diana said...

I love the contrast: a wolf and an eagle guarding the wilderness, right in the middle of a busy intersection. It's like a little reminder of what was there long before the traffic!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I applaud Misty Greyeyes. Those ugly utility boxes are all over our western cities. It should be the law that if you erect one you must pay a local artist to paint it.

Anonymous said...

Rendre l’ordinaire - extraordinaire :-)
Monsieur Dupuis ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

Tundra Bunny said...

Misty Greyeyes' wolf and eagle paintings are terrific! More art is needed in urban ecosystems, not less.

Barwitzki said...

Thank you for the beautiful wall art of the wolf and eagle—the protectors of the wilderness... and also for the video.
Greetings from Viola

Kathy G said...

I like the idea of a bit of wilderness in the middle of civilization.

Kay G. said...

Truly beautiful. Lucky folks who live there!

DVArtist said...

I want that wolf. LOL She creates beautifully. The video was fabulous.

Danielle said...

Beautiful!!

Janie Junebug said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful work with us. I love coming across art in unexpected places.

Love,
Janie

River said...

A very beautiful set of murals, thank you.

Kirk said...

A wolf and an eagle at a crosswalk. Just the thing to deter jaywalkers.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Wow. This is the kind of public art we need more of. Love it!!

Guillaume said...

Gorgeous.

MELODY JACOB said...

That bright blue wolf really jumps out at you against the rest of the street. Misty Greyeyes did such a beautiful job bringing a piece of nature right into the neighborhood. Finding art tucked onto an ordinary utility box like that always brightens up a walk.

CaptainKirt said...

A brilliant use of those control/junction boxes.