Friday 9 December 2011

Maria Lanakila Labyrinth, Part 2

Every labyrinth has its own unique "feel" to the experience of walking it. For me, the Maria Lanakila Labyrinth will always be associated with the sounds of children laughing and playing.


My Rare One and I visited the labyrinth on a sunny Thursday morning. Just as we started walking it, all the school kids came outside for recess. As can be seen in the following photo, the Maria Lanakila Labyrinth multi-tasks big time! The school playground is right beside it. A basketball hoop for the use of budding NBA players shares the labyrinth's pavement. The labyrinth even doubles as an amphitheatre stage, with a permanent bank of tiered seats along one side of the circle.

A young boy and girl walked part of the labyrinth with us. Others played a fast-paced game of tag around us. But these children understood perfectly well why people walk the unicursal path and they were careful not to disturb us.

As we walked the labyrinth, listening to the laughter of the school kids, thankful for the shade of the big trees, we also gazed at the beauty of the West Maui Mountains in the distance.

[All photos by Debra She Who Seeks]

23 comments:

sonia said...

How lovely. I love labyrinths. And looks at that view!

DEZMOND said...

I need to make a labyrinth in my own yard!

Anonymous said...

what an amazing experience to share with your Rare one, beautiful. Could you feel the power?

Jane said...

I love the amphitheatre seating, they just need to relocate that darn basketball net and park bench! What is the custom once you reach the center? (must be a proper name for that)

Jeanne said...

What a gorgeous setting! And a truly spiritual experience.

Kathy said...

Amazing experience. I love that the children were so respectful of the people using the labyrinth.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hi Jane -- Once you reach the centre of the labyrinth, most people pause there for a bit. Some pray or meditate. Then you walk the unicursal path back out to the beginning.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

What a great experience. Something to always remember.

Judy said...

What a beautiful setting...

Mistress Maddie said...

Rigth next to the playground??? Oh dear. And if I ever got to the center I have to get out my flask! How did you ever get intrested in labyrinths anyhow, mind me asking?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Mistress Maddie, I first walked a labyrinth in 1997 and just got hooked on them! I've always been a pacer when I think deeply and so this form of "walking meditation" appeals to me, much more so than sitting on a cushion and going OM! Also, labyrinths always represent the Divine Feminine and that's a draw for me.

yellowdoggranny said...

that is absolutely beautiful.

The Dancing Crone said...

Could it be done by moonlight or candle light? Or is it better to walk a labyrinth by day?

Beatnheart said...

Thanks for your visit! Hey love your little drummer boy. I put it up on my facebook page. so awesome. what a discovery...cheers to you and yours.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hi Francie -- Any time you can walk a labyrinth is a good time! I've walked one in darkness lit by candles with continuous drumming all around. That was pretty fab. Have never walked one by moonlight though -- now you've given me that ambition!

laughingwolf said...

lucky you two! :)

Jim said...

A multi-purpose one! That view to the mountains is very relaxing.

fromsophiesview said...

This is spectacular...You always finds these everywhere you go...!

Surge said...

The mountains are beautiful :)

Steve Bailey said...

The mountains are truly beautiful there. My lady and are were there in September and I already miss it. One of my favorite places in the world.

Sahildeki Ev said...

I think its a perfect place for a labyrinth, with all the scenery and happy voices.

Magic Love Crow said...

This is stunning! What a beautiful spot for a labyrinth ;o)

Laura said...

oh these photos are magnificent Debra....you have really captured the feeling of BEING there through the images and description of the children.