Wednesday 28 July 2021

New Edmonton Football Team Name AT LAST!

I've bitched on this blog for years about the inappropriate "indigenous mascot" team name of my city's Canadian Football League club, the Edmonton Eskimoes. The team used every stupid, illogical argument in the book to resist changing it, but last summer it finally bowed to public pressure and dropped the old name. Now, after a full year of rumination and public surveys, here (at last!) is our new team name --


I like this new name because:

(1) elk are very common wildlife in this area so there's a real connection to our location; 

(2) apparently back in the mists of time (1922) when the Edmonton team was part of a rugby-football league, the team actually was briefly named the Elks before changing it, so there is some historical precedent and tradition attached to the new name;

(3) it is compatible with keeping the team's traditional colours of green and gold; and

(3) it allows retention of the traditional "Double EE" logo that fans love and are familiar with.


What I really love, though, is the NEW team logo! It is simple, clear and stylized. And the elk's mean little eye makes it look intimidating and badass! 


I've already bought a t-shirt with the new logo to show support for the team and its name change! Also, the team needs all the money it can get right now because the cancellation of last year's season due to the pandemic almost bankrupted it. Not to be too cynical, but I suspect the prospect of selling a full line of all-new branded merchandise to its fans may have been another factor which encouraged the team to finally change its name. But I'm okay with that as a reward to the team and I hope sales skyrocket!

35 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

Impressive. I thought the CFL permanently closed up shop in 2019 or 2020 due to rising costs and bad attendance, but as I can see, I was proven wrong.

Hope the Washington DC team comes up with something as interesting as this, instead of the stupid moniker for the Cleveland MLB team, which in personal opinion, is a minor league team name. And not a very good one at that.

Travel said...

Sounds like a good choice. Cleveland finally changed the name of it's baseball team, DC still has the nameless football team.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Yay!
Progress!
I cannot understand how is it that people do not understand that "indigenous' does not mean that it can be appropriated. Ugh.
The new logo is cool, indeed!

XOXO

jaz@octoberfarm said...

great news! people are finally waking up. the cleveland indians finally stepped up and are now the cleveland guardians. and they finally got rid of the goofy indian logo.

Parnassus said...

Hello Debra, It looks like a good year for changing sports teams' names. I agree the Elks is fitting, both geographically and alliteratively. I didn't know that real elks were green and gold, but since you are the Canadian here, I bow to your superior knowledge. However, that logo needs some work. I think that many people if showed it in isolation would think it is some kind of bird--say, a crested falcon.
--Jim

Bob said...

Nice choice, especially being able to keep their recognizable logo.

Old Lurker said...

Yes, the new name seems fitting. Elks are a prey animal, after all.

Tasker Dunham said...

Did anyone ask any Elks what they thought?

Guillaume said...

What the Elk!

LL Cool Joe said...

I like the new logo.

Mike said...

I don't remember ever seeing the double E logo. I'm glad they found something that worked with it. I like it.

Adam said...

They should have went with the Edmonton Crackers.

Just kidding, I saw the Cleveland Indians finally dropped their name

Tundra Bunny said...

I'll be interested to see what their new mascot will be. Perhaps it'll fire glitter out of its arse every time the Elks score a touchdown?

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Yay. I like the name.
Scrabble is my and JT's game of choice. I played "elk" and then "elks" a week or so ago. He's sharper than me and knows a lot more words. But he momentarily questioned "elks," thinking "elk" is singular and plural. It sounds as though it could be plural.
In short, YAY for the Edmonton ELKS and for elks everywhere!

Moving with Mitchell said...

I love the new name AND elk logo! Shame on them for dragging their feet. But, I’m happy they’ve done it.

Joanne Noragon said...

My Cleveland Indians have renamed themselves the Cleveland Guardians. I can see the connection, but most of us can't.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Great new name and logo! The Elk design is strong and totally badass as you say! I hope this year is more lucrative for the team.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Hope the new team does well.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Kirk said...

First Cleveland, now Edmonton. Great news!

Marie Smith said...

Yay! Great name. Finally!

brewella deville said...

Oh, the elk is in profile! It took me a while to see it.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I LOVE the new name and logo!

This N That said...

I think I saw something about this on the news or somewhere..Cool logo..New name and logo should help their bottom line..Hope they have a good season..

Janie Junebug said...

I like the name and the logo. Good for you for supporting it. My city has finally decided to change the names of schools that honor Confederate "heroes."

Love,
Janie

The Blog Fodder said...

Good for Edmonton. I hope the League can pull out of its money problems as the pandemic set most of the teams back a huge amount. (Rider fan here).

Onevikinggirl said...

I like elks too. And looking it up, it made me very happy to discover a new sport, Canadian football.
Go Elks!

Fundy Blue said...

Go Elks! May your ten have lots of success in the coming season, Debra!

Ur-spo said...

I agree this sounds good and has a good logo
someone did a fine job there

Rommy said...

We're having similar issues too with a local high school team's name. The troglodytes are really digging their feet in on this though. It's quite frustrating.

Magic Love Crow said...

Very cool! Go Elks!! Big Hugs Deb!

Barbara said...

Wow. That was a good name choice and an excellent new logo. Renames are often so bad but you lucked out.

Lady M said...

Cool new name and logo - I like it.

yellowdoggranny said...

ooooh, that's cool..

DB Stewart said...

100% agree!

e said...

I like it! Ok, a little disappointed that they didn't use your suggestion of the Edmonton Edge, but this is good. Love the elk - he's going to use those antlers to inflict damage!

Our local hockey team recently changed their logo from a Native American man (the original jerseys were a gift from the Chicago team) to a stylized bird of prey. How hard was that to come up with since their name is the Winterhawks? Took years of advocacy to get it done. Schmucks.