Monday 18 April 2022

"Cartooning For Fun"

In March I took an in-person art class -- how I've missed them during the pandemic! -- called "Cartooning For Fun." Here's a few of my better efforts. They were mostly all done in class, very quickly, and in pencil only. So alas, they're not as crisp as if they'd also been inked for greater visibility.

We started off by doing autobiographical cartoons based on personal photos of ourselves as babies, children, young adults and current selves. So here I am! Oh, by the way, I wore that black cat costume one Halloween so please don't think I dressed that way all the time, LOL! And yes, I once had long hair!


Later we did an autobiographical cartoon of "A Current Day in My Life" --


My favourite thing to do in class was to draw cartoons from my imagination to illustrate verbal prompts given by the teacher. The prompts for these next four panels were: "Nice legs!" "He has a long face" "She has big eyes" and "She's a total babe!"


The first two prompts here were "Elegant Earrings" and "Those kids are real monsters." I think the last two are visible in the photo itself.


The first two prompts here were "Star Athlete" and "Resting Bitch Face." The other two should be readable from the photo.


And finally in our last class, we were asked to write and draw multi-panel cartoon strips. This one illustrates the life cycle of a fictitious character named Bob --


The prompt for this cartoon strip was "Mood Swings" --


And, finally, the prompt for this cartoon strip was "Yoga." The first word in the last panel is "Beware" which got cut off in the photo. Clearly, I was channeling HRH when creating this one!


This class was so much goofy fun! I'd gladly take another cartooning course any day!

[All art and photos © Debra She Who Seeks, March 2022]

42 comments:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

I love how that baby is giving us ATTITUDE! LOL
And the one with the milkshake? Yes, ma'am.
I'm sure doing cartoons is not as easy as you make it seem (I cannot draw my way out of a paper bag) but doodling with intention does look like a ton of fun.

XOXO

Bob said...

The 'At least I died rich' one is kinda sadly spot on.
I like the idea of the 'prompt' cartoons because that takes imagination and drawing skills.

Martha said...

These were great, Debra, and lots of fun! I'm happy to hear that you were finally able to attend an in-personal art class. It's nice to finally be able to get out and about and do things like this in person!

Marie Smith said...

Great work, Debra. I am pleased to see a cat drawn into you art!

Travel said...

Talent. Is there a reason there is goat yoga and not cat yoga?

Boud said...

What a ton of fun you had. I'm hoping for some cartooning in this 'ere blog now.

lissa said...

These drawings are so much fun. I would like to take a class like that.

Have a lovely day.

Mike said...

6:00 am wake up? That would be the "Who am I kidding" for me.
When are you starting your second career as a cartoonist?

yellowdoggranny said...

wow.....you did good!!!!!!!!

Kay G. said...

Oh my, you are a great cartoonist! There must be an end to your talents, surely!

This N That said...

Looks like a blast!!Hope you get to do it again some day..Thanks for sharing the fun...Enjoy your week..

Moving with Mitchell said...

Thsea are excellent. I wish we lived near each other, I’d join you for classes.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Haha. You're so good. I can't draw cartoon arms and legs like that. Mine look more like tree branches or other things non-human. I agree with the cat: Yoga can kill.
Thanks for sharing the fun.

DVArtist said...

These are all excellent. What fun. Have a great day.

brewella deville said...

That looks like such fun!

Adam said...

Cute doodles

Lady M said...

Ha - yoga can kill you. That one made me chuckle. These are great!

JM said...

An in person art class! How fun. Loved looking at all your cartoons!! Especially the resting bitch face--strangely I am amused and intrigued by the uni-brow.

Tundra Bunny said...

Your cartoon class sounds like Improve With A Pencil -- how fun! I like your "Mood Swings" and "Cat Yoga" cartoons., but your Whimsical creatures are better...

Rain said...

OMG Debra, these are SOOOO great! I love every one of them! The "Noon-Lunch" one is fabulous, big mouth lol! Legs and a long face too, just great! I love your sense of humour!! ♥ Keep up the art classes, you are talented!!! ☺

Breenlantern said...

Super fun drawings. Great job.

Sassybear
https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

Anne Johnson said...

Daddy-long-legs for the win!

Joanne Noragon said...

These all are a lot of fun. HRH hate a yoga-ista, I see.

Yvonne said...

That kitty one made me laugh. Loved this entire post. You have quite a bit of talent for drawing.

River said...

Your drawings are so very good.

Parnassus said...

Hello Debra, These are all adorable. I can't pick a favorite because I loved them all. I'm sure you already know it, but the double fish one is the way many fancy yin-yang symbols are drawn.
--Jim

Sandy said...

Sounds like a fun class, and such a good way to use your since of humor. Resting bitch face, lol.

e said...

Charming and funny! You never cease to amaze. :^)

Polly said...

You're a brilliant artist Debra, and great ideas.

DB Stewart said...

Lots of personalities & personality. Love these.

Laura Morrigan said...

You definitely have a flair for cartooning!

Kirk said...

I'm a comic art fan from way back, and I love these!

Frank said...

What a great diversion and you have such talent as an artist. I'm envious.

Miss Val's Creations said...

This class must have been a blast! You could have been a cartoonist!

pam nash said...

Wonderful and great and they all made me smile!

Fundy Blue said...

The class looks like so much fun, Debra, although I'm afraid my brain would be paralyzed. You have such a great sense of humor!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh my! I'm in awe of your drawing skills. (wait till you see my post today-giggle)
You are so very talented and I can see why this was such a fun class for you. Bravo!

Liz Hinds said...

Brilliant!

Barbara said...

Dang. You did so good. I love the cartoons and the faces.

Rommy said...

You clearly had a blast doing these! I like how you really let your humor show through.

baili said...

wow art class looks great fun dear Debra ,i thoroughly enjoyed the fun cartooning ,no doubt you are brilliant at it ,i loved each and all but self cartoons are my most favorite ,so wonderfully done ,i can only imagine how exciting it must be to do art in class like a child and you are an adorable one :) hugs and blessings!

Ur-spo said...

this was the best read on blogland I've had today