Wednesday 10 June 2020

Cinematic Pride on TCM


Do you watch the Turner Classic Movies channel on TV? If so, TCM will be showing some important retro-queer movies and documentaries over the course of two Friday evenings.

This Friday, June 12th: TCM will show three films, introduced and discussed by a special guest critic from our community, Alonso Duralde --

(1) Our Betters (1933)

A sparkling pre-Code comedy/satire based on the play by W. Somerset Maugham, produced by David O. Selznick and directed by George Cukor. Constance Bennett stars as an American heiress who marries an English nobleman (Alan Mowbray) and becomes involved in scandalous goings-on among the British aristocracy.


 (2) Victim (1961)

Set in London during a time when anti-sodomy laws were still enforced in England, this movie stars Dirk Bogarde as a married barrister who is secretly gay and risks his reputation by taking on a group of blackmailers who prey on homosexuals.


 (3) Word is Out: Stories of Some of Our Lives (1977).

A documentary in which more than two dozen people talk about their lives and experiences as gay men and lesbians. It was the first feature-length documentary about lesbian and gay identity made by gay filmmakers, and had a large and pioneering impact when it was released. The film became an icon of the emerging gay rights movement.


Two weeks later on Friday, June 26th: TCM will screen another three films, this time introduced and discussed by another special guest critic from our community, R. Ruby Rich --

 (1) Mädchen in Uniform (1931)

This German film, directed by Leontine Sagan and Carl Froelich, is set at an all-girls boarding school where a student (Hertha Thiele) falls in love with a female teacher (Dorothea Wieck). The film, one of the first features in any country to address the subject of lesbianism, was considered very bold in pre-Nazi Germany.


(2) The Watermelon Woman (1996)

This film is an independently made comedy/drama written, directed and edited by Cheryl Dunye. She also stars as a black lesbian filmmaker who wants to make a movie about an actress who played "mammy" roles in movies of the 1930s. This is considered the first feature film directed by a black lesbian.


 (3) Orlando (1992)

A British period piece that plays with the notion of gender set during the Elizabethan era. It follows a young androgynous nobleman named Orlando (Tilda Swinton), who is bequeathed land and financial stability by Queen Elizabeth I (Quentin Crisp) on her deathbed, under the condition that he not grow old.


I'm excited about watching these infrequently-broadcast classics! I've seen Victim, Mädchen in Uniform and Orlando over the years at various queer film festivals, but I have not seen the other three yet. I'll be watching (or re-watching) all of them!

30 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

YAYZ for TCM! let all voices be heard!

LL Cool Joe said...

Did someone mention Tilda Swinton?

DEZMOND said...

I watched a really beautiful queer movie THE BLOND ONE last weekend. I was thinking of making a list of best gay movies of the decade.

baili said...

sounds like wonderful and interesting collection dear Debra


i would like to watch few of them if find around here :)

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

This is awesome! Thanks for the list.
I've only seen The Watermelon Woman and Orlando. I'd love to watch Word is Out and Victim, though. Historical.

XOXO

Moving with Mitchell said...

The only ones I've seen are "Victim" and "Orlando." No TCM, so I'll have to see if I can find them another way. Thanks!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I recall watching Orlando many years ago, but the others are new to me. Yay for TCM for highlighting these movies this month!

bobbie said...

I've been seeing the ads for this series and have already set it up to record. Ya gotta love TCM!

Mistress Maddie said...

I watch very little television. So when it's not some Brit drama or comedy....its always TMC in this house. Thank God for that channel.

Kirk said...

I've seen in Orlando and Victim. Dirk Bogarde, who was in the latter, was gay in real life. He could not admit to being so because 1. homosexuality was against the law in Britain, and 2. the Rank Organization, which produced the gay-sympathetic film, had put a morals clause in his contract.

Marie Smith said...

We don’t have TCM. I’m glad they are featuring these movies during this month though.

brewella deville said...

I'm living on TCM during this lock-down, catching up on a lot of classics that I've somehow missed. Our Betters sounds right up my alley.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Wait, she gets abundant fortune, eternal youth, and steamy sex for a lifetime? Sign me up.

Happy Pride month, Debra.

Forsythia said...

See also "Codebreaker" and "The Imitation Game," movies about the British cryptanalyst Alan Turing.

Mike said...

I looked up Tilda Swinton with google images. I think she could play Edgar Winter in a movie.

Guillaume said...

You should watch "Quai des Orfèvres", it's not central to the plot, but there is one fairly important lesbian character. "Celle qui n'était plus", the novel that inspired "Diaboliques", also has a lesbian couple and it is very central to the plot.

Kay G. said...

I love TCM!
Thanks for the heads up on these films!

Tundra Bunny said...

I've watched TCM since 2005 and it's only been in the last 5 years or so that they have ventured into mini film festivals centred on important modern events such as Black History Month, Pride, etc. I have also really enjoyed watching rare foreign film gems, silent films of Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd, pre-Hayes Code films and "Noire Alley". TCM is well worth it's cable subscription price!

peppylady (Dora) said...

We don't get TMC, I like to broarden my horizon. I will see if one Library have these dvds.

Parnassus said...

Hello Debra, I recently saw on the internet an AMC bio of Billy Haines, the star actor of the 1920's and 30's who turned decorator when the studio required him to give up his boyfriend, Jimmie Shields, to keep his career. Romantically, Haines and Shields stayed together until their (separate) deaths in 1973.
--Jim

e said...

I don't have TCM, but I'll save the list and look for these elsewhere.

jono said...

These look like an interesting change of pace for me. I'll see what I can find. If I haven't said so already I wish you a Happy Pride Month.

DVArtist said...

Oh yes we watch TCM. One of our most watched channels. I will be checking these out.

Martha said...

Sounds like a great collection! Tilda Swinton is a favourite for me. Such a great actress!

Miss Val's Creations said...

How fantastic that TCM is airing these films!

Ur-spo said...

I've only seen Orlando which I remember was fun watching her survive all the monarchs of England.

The Happy Whisk said...

We don't have cable but back in the day at my grams house, I remember TCM - We used to watch the spooky movies but that might have been on AMC, back when they showed classics. So long now, I can't be sure.

Rommy said...

I hadn't heard of any of these before. Kind of bummed I don't have Turner Classic Movies to check them out.

Magic Love Crow said...

Mom and I watch TCM, thanks Deb!
I think the most moving movie I have ever seen is Milk!!! I cry every time I see it!!

Fundy Blue said...

The only time I've watched TCM was whenever I visited my friend Dee. She loved the channel. She died about 10 years ago, one of the great loses in my life. I think I would find any of these movies really good.