Wednesday 8 February 2023

The Big Sleazy, Chapter 2


Late that night, I made the rounds of every seedy gin joint in town, hitting up my contacts for info on that crazy amulet. Down a badly-lit back alley, I stumbled into my favourite retro speakeasy, Dudo’s Dumpster Dive. If anyone could steer me right, it’d be Dudo.

He was behind the bar as always, slinging beer and other libations to the rough biker crowd packing the joint.

“Hey, Dudo, long time no see. Gimme a shot of your best hooch.” Remembering my unlimited expense account, I added: “And leave the bottle.”

Dudo came up dry on the amulet. But he did know of a witchy she-devil cat who might have her paw on the pulse of such things.

“Madame Kazee. Best tarot reader in the biz. If she don’t know where that amulet is, ain’t no one knows.”

“Where can I find her?”

Dudo paused, looked me up and down, and then called over the bar’s muscle, a big bruiser named Moose.

“Moose, take this guy to Madame Kazee. See that he gets there with his wallet intact.”

Turns out I didn’t even have to leave the establishment (or my bottle of booze). Moose shepherded both me and it through the bikers, hookers and general mayhem of the bar to a private room in the back.

“She’s in there, gumshoe. Better be respectful or she’ll put a curse on yer guts that’ll make you wish you wuz dead.”

And then Moose unceremoniously shoved me through the beaded curtain.





[Story, art and photo of art © Debra She Who Seeks, 2023;
you can visit Dudo and Moose at Moving With Mitchell]

34 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

I always figured Dudo and Moose had gangster connections see. Never fool around with anyone named named Moose....or Meat.

Boud said...

The tension mounts! And the illustration is great!

Frank said...

Revealing your feline alter-ego in such a creative, engaging story...it's going to be a nail-biter I'm sure.

Bob said...

I always knew there was a darker side to Dudo and Moose!

Travel said...

I have met a couple of those pussys. Can't wait to read the next installment.

Lady M said...

OOOh - the plot thickens!

Moving with Mitchell said...

You have made my day (and it’s not the first time)! I knew my boys got up to no good when we’re not around. And here’s photographic proof. This is SO good. I look forward to every chapter.

A Heron's View said...

Glad to see you are still about and busy writing!
I will be back too visit you soon xx

Martha said...

HAHAHA! I love it. My darling little Kazee in your story! Yes, she is the best tarot reader and she'll certainly put a curse on you if you're not respectful. Watch your step!

BootsandBraids said...

The illustration is adding to the mystique. Can't wait to see what Madame Kazee looks like.

Marie Smith said...

I’ll be back for sure!

Mike said...

Triple D's, nice.

Tundra Bunny said...

I've long suspected that Dudo & Moose have underworld connections too.... their innocent "Who, me?" looks are just a little too innocent!

Fingers crossed that Buster Borghese doesn't end up as the fall guy in this liitle noir story!

Liz Hinds said...

The plot thickens!

Old Lurker said...

Moose is quite fetching in that dress. But it seems unrealistic that he would ever listen to his brother.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Old Lurker -- It's supposed to be a tank top, LOL!

e said...

The tension mounts! What mysteries will be revealed by the enigmatic Madam Kazee???

Adam said...

Nice 😸

roentare said...

What a great pic! You wrote the story with a style!

angela said...

Ohhh I’ve just read both instalments and am eager to learn more.
This is very exciting

Ellen D. said...

I'm on the edge of my seat! See you tomorrow!

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

The names.
The alliterations.
The attitude!

I'm loving this.

XOXO

Kirk said...

The moment I saw the names Dudo and Moose, I fervently scrolled down the comments to see what Mitchell had to say, and then returned to read the rest of the chapter.

Old Lurker said...

Oops! I meant to say "Moose is quite fetching in that tank top."

I should have known that you wouldn't dress Moose in a green dress (and not a real green dress: that's cruel).

River said...

I'm loving this!

Onevikinggirl said...

I’m in, this is so cool!

Janie Junebug said...

Dudo and Moose! How did they get there from Spain?

Love,
Janie

baili said...

You really know how to rise suspense

The Captain said...

I drink in a very similar establishment

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love where this is heading.
Also, the artwork in the first two chapters is AWESOME!!

yellowdoggranny said...

never trust the bartenders.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

You are SO CLEVER! I love this.

Hena Tayeb said...

Love your artwork as well!

Rommy said...

HRH is in the thick of the feline underworld now! Very cute drawing.