Sunday, 2 August 2026

Art Quilt Exhibition: "Renewal" -- Part 1


[A link party about art issues hosted by

During my June road trip,
I stopped in Brandon, Manitoba to see
a juried Art Quilt Exhibition at the
Art Gallery of Southwestern Manitoba.

this exhibition is touring across Canada.
Thirty-three artists present their uniquely personal
interpretations of the theme "Renewal."

In this two-part SITAR post,
I'm featuring my favourites
from the exhibition --


Leaving the Dark (2018)
by Toni Major
(Ontario)


Urban Renewal (2023)
by Heather A Hager
(Ontario)


Frosty Fronds (2023)
by Margaret Sangster
(British Columbia)


Celebrate! (2024)
Joan Flett Kilpatrick
(British Columbia)


Can't Keep Me Down (2024)
by Steph Kincade
(Nova Scotia)

 Please return next Sunday for Part 2 of this post!

[Photos © Debra She Who Seeks, 2026]

45 comments:

Bilbo said...

My wife is a quilter, and has made dozens of beautiful quilts over the years. We never worry about losing our heat in winter, because we can each stay toasty warm under about 6 feet of quilts.

Bob said...

These are all so good, and they aren't your grandmother's quilts anymore!
Urban Renewal is a great one.

Marty said...

Love quilt shows!

My name is Erika. said...

I love beautiful and artistic quilting. These are great, especially the tree stump one. I thought the stump was real at first and it was just the wood part that was quilted, but wow! It's all quilted, even the leaves. Love that.

Boud said...

These quilts are such art! Thanks for showing us. I can't pick a favorite, all so good.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ My name is Erika -- Yes, it was my favourite in the whole exhibition! Who knew 3-D sculptures could be quilted? Amazing.

Tom said...

...I love fabric arts and "Can't Keep Me Down" ia amazing.

Travel said...

Those are great, we have a neighborhood artist who does quilting.

bobbie said...

All are good ~ my faves are the first & last ones! TFS!
bobbie

Anonymous said...

Interesting pieces from the exhibit-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Ms. Moon said...

When art and technique and skill all come together, something very special is created.

Ellen D. said...

Those quilts are so amazing! I've quilted but mostly just squares or rectangles sewn together - nothing as complicated as the ones shown here.

Pixie said...

Wow!

Marcia LaRue said...

I am amazed they are all hand quilted ... enlarge the pictures and you can see that is NOT machine stitching! Wow!
I do like the tree stump ... especially the oak sprig growing out of it!

Anonymous said...

I love those (Danielle)

Cleora Borealis said...

🪵🌱 I agree with other commenters about "Can't Keep Me Down." My favorite art pieces are always the ones that seem misplaced and push me to look again...and again until my brain catches up. 🔍😯

Val Ewing said...

Wow...wow, that 3 D sculpture is amazing!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So glad you shared these. I am a big fan of quilted arts. My favorites are Urban Renewal and Can't Keep Me Down. Happy SITAR.

Kathy G said...

Artwork quilting is a whole different animal than vintage quilting.

DB Stewart said...

Incredible artistry!

Damselfly said...

"Can't Keep Me Down" is absolutely amazing! Thanks ever so much for sharing.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I’m in awe of what quilters can created. These are wonderful. Can’t Keep Me Down is amazing.

DVArtist said...

Woah! These quilts are stunning. Can't Keep Me Down is just out of this world. Thank you for sharing with SITAR.

Lady M said...

What a gorgeous collection. I would have thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Linda Sue said...

sapling in trunk is stunning! I have not love a thing quite as much as I love that piece of work!

Mary Kirkland said...

I like these. The tree trunk is very nice.

RedPat said...

These are wonderful, Debra.

Fundy Blue said...

These are all wonderful, Debra! My favorite is the tree trunk with the sapling. The piecing in Frosty Fronds is unreal. I love fabric arts! Thanks for sharing these.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Debra, the tree trunk is very cool! And the quilts are gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend. I hope you have a lovely week ahead!

Anonymous said...

Exceptionnel !
Le quilting est une forme d’art en Amérique du Nord :)
Monsieur Dupuis 🇨🇦

Ur-spo said...

lovely ! 💕

peppylady (Dora) said...

It amazing what people can do with fabric.

Tundra Bunny said...

The quilted tree stump is AMAZING! I've seen lots of quilted animals, plants and landscapes that are incredible, but never anything 3D before.

Duni said...

I sew, but quilting is not my forte ;-) I've always admired quilts. These are stunning. My favorite is Urban Renewal!

River said...

I LOVE the colours in the first quilt.

Rade said...

Wow! These are all stunning!

roughterrain crane said...

The inspiration of the last art is amazing.

Liz Hinds said...

Urban renewal is very unusual in its design. Always impressed by quilters.

Barbara Rogers said...

These are beautiful, can't wait to see more. I'd love to know the blogger in Manitou Springs, so I can have a Colorado friend.

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful, especially the first. So sad this is the land of no quilts (and no, sewing is not for me).

CaptainKirt said...

I have a friend who's brilliant with the old needle, I have to show her these.

e said...

Glorious! That stump is astounding!

Leanna said...

That first one was amazing with the colors. So many great artists these days. Not your normal everyday quilts.

baili said...

beautiful ,wonderful and vibrant wow
how nice you shared wiht us from your journey Debra
quilt has deep connection to my heart and soul because it brings lots of lovely memories back :)
last one is powerful and uplifting !

Kirk said...

I find "Celebrate" particularly striking.