Monday, 10 August 2026

Monday Murals -- Birdsong

I'm taking part today in 
Monday Murals hosted by Sami.


I drive by this beautiful City of Edmonton utility box
every time I go to a favourite Seniors Rec Centre
where I often take art classes.

I love the swirl and flow of its design
and the colour palette chosen by its creator,
Jill Murrin, who is an Edmonton-based
artist and graphic designer.

I think she has perfectly captured 
the beauty and joy of birdsong,
one of the generous gifts of Nature
which enrich our lives.

[Photo © Debra She Who Seeks, 2026]

37 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

It is beautiful. I love it when art is added to utility boxes. It's not necessary but it makes it more beautiful. The human desire for beauty.

Bilbo said...

Beautiful design! It's nice what can be done with an ugly utility box.

Rade said...

I love public art! What a great, creative use of space!

Moving with Mitchell said...

I love it. Utility boxes in San Diego used to be adorned like that.

Mistress Maddie said...

I too love it...cant think why, lol!!!! And it sure beats seeing a stainless steel looking box doesn't it?

Boud said...

What a great canvas for art those utility boxes are. I love how this one was transformed. Thanks for showing us.

Jackie McGuinness said...

Birdsong is a great title for such a pretty box.

Bob said...

It looks so musical, and a great place for street art!

roentare said...

Nice looking purple utility art!

Danielle said...

There’s one like that in Houston- on a utility box. In a neighborhood called montrose and it’s a pride flag

Tom said...

...utility boxes have become urban mural canvases and this one is eye catching.

Travel said...

The routine things in life, need not be boring.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Love it when they use something so pedestrian an$ make it beautiful and unique.

XOXO

Kathy G said...

What a beautiful mural! I love the colors.

Iris Flavia said...

One wants to sing!!!! Wonderful.

whkattk said...

Our city and county have begun painting utility boxes. So much better than a big grey metal box!

Sami said...

Such a pretty utility box. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Debra.

WickedHamster said...

I love when they do that. DC has a good number of them. The city also commissions art for the old police callboxes, which happen to look like picture frames on top of steel poles

RedPat said...

That is really lovely, Debra.

Val Ewing said...

That is so pretty much nicer than a grey old icky looking utility box!

DVArtist said...

This is the way to make a utility box pretty. Very nice indeed. Have a happy Monday.

Jeanie said...

I really like this! Great colors

e said...

A utility box that is actually uplifting! Beautiful!

Shammickite said...

Yes I like it too. I can hear the bird singing.... probably a blue bird.

baili said...

even before scrolling down and read about the amazing artist i just loved this design dear Debra ! :)
it's really heartfelt and touching in sense you said and so beautifully
the design explains the beauty of bird song awesomely :)

The Happy Whisk said...

What a fun way to decorate a ultily box.

Tundra Bunny said...

What a lovely way to beautify an urban landscape! It reminds me of the beaver sculptures in Toronto for the World Cup this summer. Each one was decorated to represent one of the countries playing in that city.

Bill said...

A beautiful decorated utiliity box. Well done!

Mary Kirkland said...

I really like the art they did.

dee Nambiar said...

Birdsong sounds about right for this one. Pretty colors and designs. Such a light and airy piece of art. It does a lovely job of symbolizing nature's music.
Great find, Debra. :)

Yorkshire Pudding said...

That is indeed a fine design Debra - turning an ugly, functional utilities box into a thing of beauty.

Kirk said...

I wish more utility boxes looked like that. Otherwise, they're such eyesores.

Guillaume said...

Colourful

My name is Erika. said...

What a great way to cover up an otherwise dull utility box. I'm with you about the swirls too!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

This is really beautiful, Debra!!!

River said...

I love it ❤️I'd like it on my front door.

magiceye said...

Beautifully done!