Thursday, 6 August 2026

What Kickstarted My French Again


By January of this year, I could no longer bear waking up every morning listening to clock radio news about That Orange Bastard. So I switched the dial to ICI Musique, the French-language equivalent of English Canada's CBC Music.

Now I'm awakened by the program Quand Le Jour Se Lève (When Day Breaks) which plays light, pleasant classical and baroque music.

MUCH NICER TO WAKE UP TO!

Its host, François Lemay, has a beautiful, mellifluous voice, so lovely to listen to. Every morning, he starts off by saying "Bonjour, mes chers amis mélomanes." It was no problem for me to understand "Good morning, my dear friends" but WTF does "mélomanes" mean?


After three or four months of just lazily wondering about it, I bestirred myself to look up "mélomane" using an online translator. I discovered that, as a noun, it means "music lover" and, as an adjective, it means "music-loving." So "mes chers amis mélomanes" means "my dear music-loving friends."

Well! I was so thrilled -- out of all proportion, really -- to learn this new and previously unknown word "mélomane" that it kickstarted my interest again in speaking more French. So I began to ask myself -- where and how can I speak more French in . . . EDMONTON, ALBERTA?

The adventure had begun!

51 comments:

Tom said...

...I just wake up when I wake up!

Bob said...

I'd prefer waking up to someone speaking French than news about the grifter. too!

Bonne chance pour vos études.

Val Ewing said...

That sounds wonderful. I will be so happy when I don't listen to the news and hear about that orange thing ever again. I want politics to get back to boring.
I've always loved the sound of a different language, what a nice way to wake up.

Travel said...

How wonderful. I have not set an alarm on a daily basis in nearly 20 years.

Pixie said...

Do you remember C'est La Vie on CBC radio with Bernard St.-Laurent? He took one French word and talked about, I loved that show. My French is very poor sadly but I still remember abrille/to cover up. My brain is a strange place. Good luck on practicing your French.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Oh I love this!
Intrinsic motivation is the best motivation to learn.
And I need the opportunity to use ‘I bestirred myself’ in a sentence STAT!

Try a local college or L’alliance Française, call:587-852-4575.

XOXO

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Pixie -- Thanks for reminding me of that! I'd forgotten all about that little gem of a show! Hmmm, I wonder if it's archived anywhere online in the CBC site? I'll have to check!

Kathy G said...

I think our local NPR station has several music options, but only in streaming form.

Ms. Moon said...

And so that program is serving several lovely purposes in your life. Fantastic!

Marty said...

Waking up to the current news or GOD FORBID, the voice of the rumpster would be just plain awful.

whkattk said...

Multi-lingual folks are impressive! I know enough French and enough Spanish to be dang--- Wait, probably not even that much. LOL

Boud said...

I haven't used an alarm in decades. I wake up in time! But waking to music and another language would be the best option. I wonder if there's DuoLingo in your future?

e said...

I'm so sorry that the Orange Menace is polluting your airwaves as he is ours. I had to quit listening to the radio for the same reason. And the tv news. But, it's been since 2014 when he ran the first time.
One day we will wake up to good news...

e said...

Also (more importantly) congrats on restarting your francophone journey! In a country with two official languages there should be opportunities to speak and hear French, non? That said, I've only been to British Columbia and I didn't hear a word of French.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ e -- Yes, there are pockets of French language and francophone culture in every anglophone province. You just have to know where to find them! It's easier in some provinces than other.

Kirk said...

Hmm. I just wake up to a generic melody on my cell phone. French might be nicer.

DB Stewart said...

I too have flushed the OB from my algorithms, etc...but well, sometimes that turd is somehow still circling the toilet bowl. Ugh.

Mistress Maddie said...

I NEVER listen to news in the morning...for the reason you stated and many others. I too awaken to classical music.

Besides, if that rat bastard kicks the bucket overnight..I figure everyone and their mother will text me anyhow.

Bea said...

Quelle wonderful! (I could not remember how to spell the French version of 'magnificent', so I copped out with a nice adj. in English. :D

Tundra Bunny said...

AHAHAHAHA!

Tundra Bunny said...

My bladder wakes me up at least twice before my alarm goes off, so no worries about over-sleeping here, LOL!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

What a lovely way to wake up.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Hi Debra, I only set my alarm if I have an appointment, otherwise I don't bother. As far as French goes, not sure if you know the song "Quand le soleil dit bonjour aux montagnes". It's a beautiful song!

Jackie McGuinness said...

I grew up in Quebec and had to and did pass my mandatory French requirements. It was a French nothing like they actually speak in Quebec but I do wonderfully well in France.
I figure when he drops dead (painfully, I hope) I'll be awakened by car horns no matter the time!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Debra, I just thought of an old TV show that aired on CBC when I was a child. The show was in English. Chez Helene. Does this bring back any memory for you?

DVArtist said...

Good for you. And what a lovely way to wake up.

Anonymous said...

J’écoute souvent l’émission de radio de Lemay. Aide à bien commencer la journée :)
Monsieur Dupuis 🇨🇦

angela said...

I avoid all news as much as I can
When I do want to know what’s happening in the world I’ll read about it on line
That way I can avoid any headlines that seem too much for me on that particular day.

gz said...

I can get Radio France online free. The music section is good

Moving with Mitchell said...

Exciting. I studied French in 4th and 5th grade, but then we moved to NYC and I wasn’t offered a language until 7th grade and that was Spanish. It’s worked out well, but I loved French, too. I can still repeat the conversation on the LP that was played in class first year. But that’s about it!

Mary Kirkland said...

I don't watch the news anymore. I can't speak any other languages.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Linda's Relaxing Lair -- Oh yes, I know that song very well and it's a favourite of mine! Its singer, Lucille Star, was a Franco-Manitobaine from St-Boniface (now part of Winnipeg).

For anyone who wants to hear the song, here's a link to a digitally restored version. She sings it first in French and then in English --

https://youtu.be/gXfGTrmTPl8?si=JNUwgKh_upW7Ccnt

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Linda's Relaxing Lair -- Oh yes, when I was a little girl, I watched "Chez Helene" faithfully every morning right before "The Friendly Giant." Those two classic Canadian TV kids shows are probably why I both speak French AND play the recorder today, LOL.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Anonymous (Monsieur Dupuis) -- Je sais qu'il est aussi l'animateur d'une emission de jazz. Je l'ecoute de temps en temps le soir.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ gz -- I like French and Quebecois music too!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Moving with Mitchell -- Oh, I remember when you could get foreign language LPs to learn and practise a language!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Never heard of him.

Cleora Borealis said...

🏎🤗 This fall, you can get exposed to some French words that might be unfamiliar to you (automotively) and enjoy a movie that is almost entirely in French, but will have English subtitles when showing in anglophone provinces and for nonFrench-speaking shlubs like me.
"Villeneuve : L'ascension d'une légende" will close the Toronto International Film Festival in September and "Villeneuve: Rise of the Legend" will show across Canada starting in November.
I'm looking forward to it because it'll be sort of a Canadian "Rush" about Formula1 racer Gilles Villeneuve who also competed against James Hunt and Niki Lauda in the 70s. And, Villeneuve also had to race Formula3 (and snowmobiles) to scrape together money and sponsors for the incredible expense of F1!
Hubby, a Duluthian, mostly wants to see vintage snowmobile racing. I am a sucker for the sadness in glory-seeking true stories of pressing your luck in a dangerous sport! 🥹🏎 Here's more about a movie that can help your French:

https://www.jalopnik.com/2229269/villeneuve-the-rise-of-a-legend-f1-movie-trailer/?utm_content=JP_MS-NL-TOP-3&utm_source=convertkit&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=%F0%9F%9A%80%20Repossessions%20Are%20Skyrocketing%20As%20Buyers%20Cant%20Afford%20Their%20Own%20Cars%20-%2022776201&sh_kit=2186297cdc1ea5e036f6ef51538c5b4f4c88092c9937f87d2cb27c0789b55f15

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Cleora Borealis -- Thanks for the heads-up about this movie! I didn't know it was being made. Of course, every Canadian knows who Gilles Villeneuve was! And his son Jacques who also excelled at Formula 1 racing. I'll have to watch for it!

River said...

Hell will have been frozen over for decades before I try French again.

Lady M said...

I think that is an excellent thing to do and so good for your brain!

sirkkis said...

French is just a beautiful language in ears to ⏰️ up.
Have the wonderful day ahead 🎉

Barbara said...

Yes. It's that same kind of curiosity that I've been enjoying so much. I don't remember my high school French but that sounds fun. You might even find yourself back in French class just for the Hell of It.

handmade by amalia said...

This is right up my alley. I love classical music first thing in the morning and I'm also planning on taking up French again, I've read that the repetition of language training is excellent for brain power.
Amalia
xo

Duni said...

Wonderful! French is a beautiful language and I speak a bit :)

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Hi Debra, do you remember an old Quebec TV gameshow that aired on TV Metropole from 1987 to 1991? The show was called Charivari! I used to watch that!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Hi Debra, there is a song that I have always liked, and I am wondering if you know the song. Sentimentale, moi je suis comme ca are the lyrics I remember...the song is by Marie Myriam.

Bilbo said...

I speak German and get by in basic survival Russian. I tried to learn some French in preparation for our trip to Quebec a few years ago, but had no success. Sigh.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Linda's Relaxing Lair -- I don't think I ever saw that one, alas.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Linda's Relaxing Lair -- Because of your comment, I just listened to her singing it on YouTube -- what a beautiful voice! I see from her Wikipedia entry that she won the Eurovision song contest for France one year too. Thanks for introducing me to this singer!

Fundy Blue said...

I get thumped awake by my watch. Your way of waking up sounds more humane. 😂 Love this store about what got you going on French again, Debra.