Saturday 9 June 2012

Let Pride Be Your Umbrella


Winnipeg's Pride March always featured lots of people waving rainbow flags of all sizes, carrying rainbow balloons, etc. But when I moved to Edmonton in 1998, I noticed that rainbow umbrellas were often the favourite accessory in Edmonton's Pride Parade. Edmontonians are a practical people -- definitely show your pride but there's no sense in getting wet if it rains, LOL!

Today is Edmonton's 2012 Pride Parade. (And yes, it's a rainy day!) This year's Grand Marshalls are the trustees of the Edmonton Public School Board. The EPSB recently enacted a comprehensive policy specifically designed to protect sexual minority students, families and staff from discrimination and bullying in public schools, a first for any school district in the prairie provinces. Yay EPSB!

19 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

it is pride parade here today too. though, no rain....i wish! 90 degrees.

Anonymous said...

That's GREAT, and also that's a beautiful umbrella!

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

Our Pride Parade was last weekend, and people were out in droves! It didn't rain, only the threat of it. Enjoy your day!!

fromsophiesview said...

Hands HIgh!!!!

laughingwolf said...

ehaw... epsb!

Anonymous said...

I love those umbrellas, have a great day!

CorvusCorax12 said...

great umbrella

Robin Larkspur said...

Way to go, Edmonton!!

Jim said...

WOW! Way to go Edmonton school board! There's that 'P' for progressive popping up!! Hadn't seen that in a while.
I want me one of those umbrellas!

DEZMOND said...

and they've just legally banned organizing Pride Parade in Moscow for next 100 years :(

35jupe said...

Wow. Way to go Edmonton School Board. (Also? I have one of those umbrellas. So basically, I should be in Edmonton today.)

Riot Kitty said...

My organization is marching with our event t-shirts for the first time in Pride this year. It's about time, and I am so happy about it! Unfortunately I'm too tired to march as I'm still recovering but plan to definitely be there next year.

Unknown said...

Happy Pride!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Practical, indeed! Great idea to use those beautiful umbrellas that can be used year round.

The Dancing Crone said...

Hurray for the Edmonton school board! There's a shameful struggle here between the Catholic system and the premier over the naming of inclusive groups in the high schools. Won't bore you with it- just enjoy your day!!!!

Jane said...

Have a great day! I think it's amazing to think the Grand Marshalls are trustees of the EPSB - now that's progress.

Victoria said...

Super gorgeous umbrella and spectacular shot...love it!
Victoria

yellowdoggranny said...

some times I wish I was a Canaderian.

Liza-Jane said...

Happy Pride Edmonton! Fantastic umbrella. I want one.