Monday 26 April 2021

April Full Moon Altar: Bast/Bastet


This month's full moon altar honours the Egyptian Cat Goddess Bast/Bastet. Bast is the goddess in her fully feline form and Bastet is the goddess manifested as a woman with a cat's head. Bast/Bastet was a favourite goddess of the cat-loving Egyptians. Her worship started around 3,000 BCE.

I obtained my Bast statue in the 1990s from a museum-reproductions catalogue. She is adorned with an ornate gold collar featuring the Eye of Horus and also has a sacred Scarab Beetle on her forehead. Both are symbols of divinity.

My Bastet statue was purchased about 20 years ago in an Edmonton spirituality store (which shortly thereafter burned down and never reopened). Bastet holds a ceremonial sistrum in one hand (a shaken percussion instrument) and an aegis (protective collar or shield) in the other, both of which depict kittens.

Bast/Bastet is a goddess associated with fertility, pregnancy and childbirth, who protects against disease and evil spirits as well. However, she also has a very special and rare attribute -- she is the Goddess of Playfulness and Fun. 

Like all cats, Bast/Bastet likes nothing better than a good time; she takes delight in every little thing. Her message to us humans is that fun and play are necessary for a balanced life, so "lighten up!" 

In recognition of her wisdom, therefore, several cat toys adorn the altar as offerings to the Divine Feline.


This month's altar cloth is a white cotton pillowslip that I embroidered about 50 years ago in 4-H when I was 12 years old. The embroidery is very simple indeed -- single, running, daisy and satin stitches along with some French knots.


[Photos © Debra She Who Seeks, April 2021]

And, of course, you KNOW who has to have the last word on today's topic --


34 comments:

Boud said...

Lovely cat themes here. And interesting information thrown in, free. Great.

Marie Smith said...

To be able to use the embroidered piece you made as a child is such a rarity. It’s a perfect addition to the altar.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Hahaha
Of course HRH would approve!
Love the altar cloth! So cool you still have it. You've always been a creative type, huh?
And I really like the Bastet statue!

XOXO

Mistress Maddie said...

Oh I love the Egyptian Cat Goddess Bast and Bastet statues. I'm surprised HRH hasn't yet swiped and knocked around the mouse toy yet?

This is my favorite so far.

anne marie in philly said...

I was wondering if HRH had something to do with this altar. cats need to be worshiped and adored.

Martha said...

Gorgeous statues and I love your adorable embroidered piece too!

Parnassus said...

Hello Debra, Another talent of yours uncovered--those embroidered cats are too cute! And don't say those are simple stitches--I have trouble sewing a button.
--Jim

Marcia LaRue said...

If not a pillowcase then, surely, a dish towel corner embroidered with the kitten motif! Did a fair share of those items myself!
I am enjoying ALL of your Full Moon facts and I am especially enjoying this one! I am a long time lover of cats and being a Leo ... 🙂 It comes natural!

Hena Tayeb said...

I had no idea.. how interesting.

Travel said...

Monotheism is so boring, bring back the cats

brewella deville said...

I'd hate to show you an example of my attempts at embroidery at that age. You have a real eye, and hand, for detail work.

bobbie said...

Beautiful, and FUN!!!

The Blog Fodder said...

Now I know the name and function of the Egyptian woman with the cat's head. Thank you. I am no longer a Bastet case.

e said...

What a perfect (purrfect?) altar for Spring! Thank you for explaining the different aspects of Bast/Bastet. That's good knowledge to have.

I'll bet your young 4-H self had no idea that the embroidered pillowslip was destined to be an altar cloth! I'm impressed with your skill and your forethought.

Of course HRH approves. She approves of all occasions where we bow down.

Tundra Bunny said...

I'm surprised HRH didn't insist on her picture being flanked by Bast & Bastet on the altar so you'd have to bask in her refelected glow for a month...

Mike said...

I think you can do without the fertility and pregnancy. But go for all the playfulness and fun you can get.

This N That said...

Nice that you have some thing that you embroidered so long ago. Interesting post ...I didn’t know all that...Enjoy your week!

Guillaume said...

Cats are still worshipped as gods nowadays.

Lady M said...

That is so cute that you still have your embroidery from 4H. You did a nice job.

Joanne Noragon said...

Well approved, HRH.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I was in 4H back in day. I'm embrodiary quilt block for granddaughter quilt.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Lovely said...

The embroidery is cute, and I love the statues!
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

Kirk said...

That Bastet idol made me think of Cher as a cat. Now, that's a religion I could get behind.

Suz said...

This is a lovely Alter! Goddess of Playfulness and Fun: I can get on board with this!
I love that you have the embroidery piece from so long ago; very pretty.

Polly said...

Beautiful statues, I would love to have a Bastet. I like her message, I'm all for fun and play. Your embroidery is lovely, I did a lot when I was younger, I wish I had kept it.

Bea said...

Oh, your embroidery is so lovely!

I hadn't known the name of the cat-headed goddess. She was certainly an important figure!

Rosemary said...

Your altar cloth - pillow slip is delightful, and now I know how old you are!

mshatch said...

I approve anything that has to do with worshiping cats :)
I suspect I was one in a past life.

Magic Love Crow said...

Your altar is so beautiful! I love your statues! Would love to see them all together! So sorry that the store burned down and never reopened! Your pillowslip is so precious Deb! I love it! So cute! Well done for 12 years old!!! HRH you are cute too! LOL! Big Hugs!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Goodness, what luck that you got that beautiful Bastet figurine just in time! She was absolutely meant to be yours!

I haven’t embroidered in years, but my mother and I embroidered a tablecloth together when I was a child. No idea where it is now.

Rommy said...

HRH I'm sure had final approval of the placement of everything - otherwise she'd push it to the side. :D

DVArtist said...

Very nice embroidery piece. The alter is very pretty.

yellowdoggranny said...

I miss embordering...I used to do pillow cases runners for tables and even shirts..I'd start again but it would end up in a basket by my recliner.

Martha said...

LOVE THIS! And I adore Bastet. I have a statue of her sitting right beside me on my computer desk. I picked her up a couple of years ago from my favourite local metaphysical shop.