Wednesday 13 July 2022

July Full Moon Altar: Allat


This month's full moon altar honours Allat, the pre-Islamic Arabic Divine Feminine. Her name "Allat" means "The Goddess," just as her Divine Masculine counterpart's name "Allah" means "The God." When patriarchal monotheistic Islam arose 1500 years ago, Allah became its one sole divinity and the worship of Allat was suppressed.

Allat is represented on this altar by her extremely ancient symbol called the Hand of Allat. Its more generic name is Hamsa which means "five," being the five fingers of the hand with which the Goddess extends protection, blessings and abundance to her people. Even though Allat was erased from Islam, Moslems were reluctant to give up her powerful symbol, so it was simply renamed in honour of the Prophet Muhammad's daughter and is now called the Hand of Fatima.

This symbol is common throughout the entire Middle East and India as well. It is also found in the Jewish tradition where it is called the Hand of Miriam, the sister of Moses. As befits its roots in the Divine Feminine, the Hamsa is always associated with a revered female of the believers' spiritual tradition. 


My Hand of Allat/Hamsa came from West Edmonton Mall and was a gift from My Rare One a number of years ago. The Hand's downward orientation signifies abundance and goodness and its protective function is provided by four blue-and-white glass amulets against the Evil Eye. Ordinarily, this hangs on the wall near my front door in accordance with tradition.


Apart from a sparkly beaded placemat and three gold candles, the altar is adorned with two fresh pink roses -- one to honour the Hamsa's Divine Feminine past and one to honour the Hamsa's continuing feminine symbolism today and in the future.

[Photos © Debra She Who Seeks, July 2022]

35 comments:

Adam said...

It is interesting to think of the middle east before Islam

Boud said...

Lovely learning again here. You've definitely contributed to my civilized knowledge. Thank you.

Marie Smith said...

I love the idea of Hamsa.

Frank said...

Sorry...I'm so far behind.

Marcia LaRue said...

When I went to bed last night, I wondered to myself ... I wonder what this full moon's altar will look like!
So, this morning I found out and it is both simple and beautiful!

Old Lurker said...

Sigh. First you unjustly accuse Christianity of appropriating pagan rituals and now you are accusing Islam of appropriating pagan symbology? That's not how divine revelation works. I am sure there are Christmas trees and Easter bunnies in the Bible, and I am sure Hamsa is hanging out in the Quran someplace.

bobbie said...

Elegantly simple, and beautiful! Thanks foe all the info ~

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Love!
I've seen the hand before, given that I have lived with Jewish people. I also have a bracelet with he blue glass little amulets. I love that it's so ancient, though. The Sacred Feminine has always been present AND tried to be erased by patriarchal religions. Fools.

XOXO

pam nash said...

Lovely alter and thank you for the explanation of the Hand of Allat. I've seen it many times but never completely understood the symbolism.

Tundra Bunny said...

A prime example of rebranding as ever there was... organized religions are a grifter's paradise -- who else could successfully transform female deities into evil eye jewelry? In any event, your full moon altar this month is beautiful!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

We Jews love the hamsa too. I have a few around here, in different forms.

Peace, Debra.

How do we know said...

wow! Beautiful altar and a lovely learning. I did not know about this. In India, we worship the Mother Goddess quite frequently.

Lady M said...

Interesting to know where that symbol comes from and how it spans cultures. I think it is fascinating how religions borrow from one another.

Guillaume said...

I always forget to check when the full moon is.

This N That said...

Very elegant altar Deb..Love the roses..Very informative post..Thanks

Richard said...

La mano de Eva. That's what my work friend told me when i asked her what do you call this plant. It was amaranth.

We worked together for several years. The language barrier was formidable but we made a way.

I could never be sure if i understood, so i asked quien es Eva? She said una mujer. I still think about this conversation.

Joanne Noragon said...

Thankyou. Another meaningful altar.

DVArtist said...

You create the most beautiful alters. Thank you for sharing this one. Have a great day today.

Dunstan Skinner said...

Thank you; I learn so much from you...

Mike said...

And on Friday the 13th no less. (Two days early.)

Lovely said...

Interesting to learn. Thanks for sharing.
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

Moving with Mitchell said...

I knew the Hand of Fatima, but never knew it’s other meanings and roots. Thanks!

Martha said...

What a great post, Debra! I never knew about most of what you shared here. It is so fascinating!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love this Alter so much. What an interesting history lesson for us all.

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful and meaningful altar. I had no knowledge of Allat, thank you for filling that gap in my understanding of the Divine Feminine. The patriarchy has a lot to answer for and I hope it hurts.
E

Magaly Guerrero said...

Thank you for introducing me to Allat. I don't think I've ever heard of that, which is very sad.

Kirk said...

I assumed polytheism was practiced in Arabic lands before the rise of Islam, but did not know the names of any of the deities. Now I know at least one.

Katrina said...

This was a fascinating read, I also had no knowledge of Allat - although I have a necklace with this symbol which I will now be especially proud to wear.

Fundy Blue said...

This altar is beautiful, Debra, and you shared information I knew nothing about. I had never heard of Allat before. What a lovely gift from your Rare One.

CraveCute said...

Your alter is beautiful!

Ur-spo said...

I just love this stuff.

Bracken Crafts- 100 garments said...

Thank you because I fine this very informative and interesting. I have seen these "pendants" in my local city and did not know what they are. Thanks for the lesson. Typical of society to suppress the feminine. Its good to understand things from older religions and cultures.This was a very interesting post.

Laura Morrigan said...

How interesting! I had no idea this was the symbol of a been forgotten/ suppressed goddess!

The Blog Fodder said...

You make the most amazing altars and I love learning about their meanings

Rommy said...

My Darling Youngest really likes the imagery of the Hamsa. I believe he has a necklace too with that symbol.