Saturday 21 September 2024

Moonflower Murders, Ukrainian Embroidery, and Mabon


Moonflower Murders
My sister got me hooked on last season's Magpie Murders on PBS, a very clever British series involving two completely different but related storylines with dual roles for all the actors. Now I'm watching the new season, Moonflower Murders, which has just started on PBS. It's equally good so far! Any other fans out there?


Ukrainian Embroidery
I've always loved this beautiful artistic expression of Ukrainian culture. This week I finally made it to a local exhibit on its last day to see some stunning vintage pieces (all handwork, of course). Here's the exhibit poster and a few photos I took of my faves --


Mabon
Yesterday evening, I attended a celebration of the Autumn Equinox (Mabon) at a local Unitarian Universalist church. The gathering's special guests were two indigenous elders who led us in some drumming and singing. I enjoyed the opportunity to use my hoop drum again!


5 comments:

Tom said...

...I enjoy many BBC shows on PBS, but haven't watched this one. The embroidery is gorgeous. Blessing to you.

Bob said...

You got me hooked on the latest season of Grantchester so I'm going to check out Moonflower Murders.
The embroider is lovely; it reminds me of the kind that Carlos aunt used to do. Bold colors.

Marie Smith said...

I enjoy Sunday night television on PBS, including Moonflower Murders. Have a great weekend, Debra.

How do we know said...

Loved Ukrainian embroidery. It is so much like central Asian embroidery styles! Even the motifs are so familar! Something universal about flowers, leaves, and embroidery.

Boud said...

Another equinox already. I can't keep up. I like the complications of the Magpie mysteries, so I'll have to look out for this.