Wednesday 18 February 2009

Nom Nom Nom in The Peg: Jeannie's Cakes


Jeannie's Cakes are available in stores throughout Winnipeg and for some inexplicable reason are staggeringly popular in that city. It's just not a real birthday or celebration unless you serve a Jeannie's Cake. They are essentially a simple white or chocolate sheet cake with some icing on top. They taste like cardboard, especially the white cakes. But Winnipeggers can't get enough of them. I blame it on the mosquito fogging that the City does every summer. Those chemicals must do something to taste buds.

(Incidentally, the above photo is not actually a Jeannie's Cake. It's simply the closest approximation I could find on teh interwebs.)

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

(I found you via Mrs Spit.)

Ya Jeannie's cakes are slighty addictive. I buy one every summer when I go back home. For me it's the cookie bottom, yum!! That and the not too sweet icing.

Sigh I will miss my cake this summer. :(

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I feel your pain, Jacquie! Maybe next summer?