Monday 16 February 2009

on reading an account of Virginia Woolf's death


I'm thinking of a woMan who walked
into the waters of a river
with stones in her pockets

thinking of the waters
of the rivers of my life

thinking of the stones
in My pockets

woMen are born
with stones in their pockets

eMpty them       eMpty theM swiM


--Karen Ethelsdatter, 2002

Another great poem and one of my favourites. It was published a few years ago in a We'Moon Datebook. I just love the concluding line in particular, with its clarion call to Life.

2 comments:

in the west I am the dragon said...

tis a beautiful piece
thanks shewhoseeks.
p

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this poem. I have been looking for it all morning. I copied in to my journal and did not note which We'Moon it came from. I hope you are well and springing. xo Suzi