Tuesday 7 March 2023

March Full Moon Altar: Cerridwen


Cerridwen, the ancient Celtic goddess of rebirth, renewal and transformation, is honoured this month. Her symbol of power is the Cauldron, which represents the Divine Feminine's womb of existence from which all things come and to which all things return. Two other cauldrons are on the altar as well, together with a Wand, the symbol of the Divine Masculine involved in Cerridwen's ceaseless stirring of the sacred Cauldron.


This powerful representation of Cerridwen is by Paul Borda of Dryad Design. I bought it shortly after moving to Edmonton 25 years ago in a little pagan shop which no longer exists. I love her vigorous, muscular arms and how the artist has unmistakably presented her Cauldron as a Womb symbol.


My maternal grandmother gave me this little brass cauldron when I was a child. She bought it on a trip back to her homeland of Switzerland. Cauldrons have long been symbols of plenty in European culture, sort of like cornucopias. The beeswax candle cauldron in the previous photo I bought recently from a local artisan. I purchased the wand from a local crafter as well a few years ago. It is made from a windfall-harvested tamarack twig adorned with copper wire, a feather, a couple of small shells and pine cones, with a tiny quartz crystal at one end. The blue-and-gold celestial placemats I've had seemingly forever!

[Photos © Debra She Who Seeks 2023]

22 comments:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Very nice altar!!
The figure does have that sense of movement and power you describe. Love the cloth and the wand, too.

XOXO

Boud said...

I like your altar posts a lot. I used to know a Ceridwen, who went by Ceri, written Kerry because people couldn't seem to say it. Even her own husband said it as Kerry Dwen!

Moving with Mitchell said...

Another beautiful altar with some very special items.

e said...

Love this altar! The figure of Cerridwen is so powerful and embodies so much movement. If you look out of the corner of your eye, you might see her stirring that cauldron. The cauldron candle is wonderful too. I love the wand - the various pieces of it are all strong medicine.

March will be a good month for you, Debra!

baili said...

Awe.... I am really impressed by the beautiful habit of persevering old things such a nice way :)))

Excellent March moon alter dear Debra!

She indeed looks like a powerful and exquisite symbol of rebirth :)

Brass given by your grandmother is lovely.
Hugs and blessings

Guillaume said...

This reminds me of my old medieval studies, especially the Arthurian legend. Albeit I mostly studied the Christianised version of it.

Fundy Blue said...

What a powerful altar, Debra. Cerridwen emanates strength and power. When I saw her I immediately thought of Shakespeare's ""Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble" in "MacBeth." That quote followed me until I was married because "MacBeath" is pronounced "MacBeth." You have an amazing collection of pagan objects, Debra. I love hearing about their meanings and histories. Have a great week!

roentare said...

A diety that I dont know much about

Mike said...

In looking at a few deities, I found the deity of trees. Coming on a Thursday near you.

Joanne Noragon said...

Such a powerful figure and post. I have always considered March to be the beginning of life and gathering back of life.

River said...

She's a beautiful figure with her cauldron. I love the celestial fabric too.

Kirk said...

"the Divine Masculine"

It would be a good name for a leather bar.

Alison said...

What a pretty alter and I love the cloth on it.

The Blog Fodder said...

If that cauldron is hot, she better be careful or she'll dip a boob in it. Love your monthly alters. I learn so much. And I will not forget Irish Heritage Day.

Lady M said...

I am a cauldron fan so enjoyed this post today.

Ur-spo said...

I have a Spo-shirt and a tarot card cloth made from the same sun/moon fabric !

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Ur-spo -- So cool! I have always loved this fabric, which is why I've kept these placemats for so, so long. I bought them in or about the mid-1970s for my very first apartment!

Richard said...

I dont want to jinx it. Our Keridwen showed up real scary in this post.

Richard said...

Poor little Ellen how was she found
Shot through the heart laying cold on the ground

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Richard -- I must say, your comments are getting more and more obscure and strange. I hope you're okay.

Rommy said...

That cauldron is adorable

Martha said...

What a stunning setup. That cauldron candle!!! The cloth and the wand!!! Everything is stunning.