Friday 19 June 2009

Nom Nom Nom in The Peg: Alycia's Restaurant, Part 2


The. Best. Perogies. In. The. Entire. World. That's all you need to know. Handmade by authentic North End Winnipeg Ukrainian Babas. Boiled and then panfried to a delicious golden brown. Served with fried onions and sour cream. A one way ticket to heaven. [The above photo is of actual Alycia's perogies]

Alycia's waitresses were pretty authentic too. Once I was there with a friend and I didn't finish all the kolbassa on my plate. The waitress said, "Aren't you going to eat that?" When I said I was full, she took my plate, scraped the kolbassa onto my friend's plate and said, "You look like you could eat it for her." You don't waste food in a Ukrainian home -- it's a sin.

A few years ago, Alycia's Restaurant changed hands and passed to a new generation of owners. And of course the Babas are all gone now. It breaks my heart to say it, but Alycia's perogies are not what they once were. But I'll always have my memories. And my 20 pounds of extra flab.

5 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

so what was inside of today's perogies? i like sauerkraut and i really like mushroom too. i also like sauerkraut with mushrooms. did you eat any halushki? i love it too!! i wish i was there with you...mmmmmm.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Jaz, have you ever had dessert perogies with fruit inside (like blueberries)? Major yum!! The traditional fruit filling is prunes -- that's what Ukrainian pioneers on the prairies had access to, I guess.

Unknown said...

YUM! I just had chedder and Jalepeno perogies from the Polish legion here and they were deeelicious. No bacon though, not for this veggie :)

Holly said...

Living, as I do just east of Pittsburgh, where perogies are the manna of all, I'm looking at those in your picture and saying, "I think I would like hers better."

Not being from these parts originally, I can't see what all the fuss is...but I think I might have to change my mind if I had the ones on that pictured plate of yours.

Check that...I don't want the 2o extra lbs of flab. I have enough heartache in my life!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm so pleased to meet all you perogy lovers! Thanks for coming by!