Tuesday 9 June 2009

Values on the Goddess Path, Part 2


I love The Charge of the Goddess, written many years ago by Doreen Valiente and adapted by Starhawk for modern use. My favourite lines are these:

Let my worship be in the heart that rejoices.
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure
Are my rituals.

This is the second greatest value which I find in Goddess spirituality -- it is sex-positive in a completely non-judgmental way. The only constraint on sacred sexuality is that it must always occur between people who legally consent. Any sexual act that occurs without legal consent can never be said to involve love or pleasure.

Mainstream patriarchal religions condemn and control people's sexuality in order to advance their own power agendas. Over the centuries and still today, many crimes have been committed against people and their sexual expression in the name of God. Organized religions have twisted and warped our views about all forms of sexuality.

There is no greater freedom than turning your back on these lies and understanding in your heart the sacred nature of all sexuality. It is healing to know, understand and practice this truth.

All acts of love and pleasure are Her rituals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Debra,

Thanks for your contribution to IPVM '09! I am sorry not to have listed it sooner, June was also the month my old computer's motherboard melted and well there was a lot going on.

I find a great deal of inspiration and guidance in the Valientean Charge too! Great posts!

Pax