Monday 14 December 2009

My Spiritual Name: Intro


It's not uncommon for those on a spiritual path to choose a new name for themselves. In paganism, it's usually called a spiritual name, a craft name, a magickal name or a circle name, etc. A new name often denotes a spiritual rebirth (like Saul/Paul on the road to Damascus) or the dedication of one's life to spiritual matters (like nuns and monks who choose new names upon taking their vows). A new name can also provide the safety of anonymity in case of religious persecution or danger (as for those in witchcraft covens). It is also an act of personal power to name yourself, a declaration that you take full control of, and responsibility for, your life. Great care usually goes into choosing a new name.

I did not actually intend to adopt a spiritual name but one nevertheless came to me over time. In my posts this week, I'll share with you how I came by my spiritual name, "Debra She Who Seeks."

7 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Gosh, you know I haven't chosen a spiritual name. I would love to hear about yours.
Mary

Rose - Watching Waves said...

I think you have a very evocative spiritual name, Debra, and I'm looking forward to learning how it was born.

Caroline said...

I love it! Maybe I will create one for myself...

Judith said...

My sister got herself a new name. I've always been somewhat envious. But then my family always calls her by her old name.

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm thinking QUEEN BITCH wouldn't be appropriate..

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hee hee, some days it is, YDG!

Anonymous said...

Ooh I cant wait to read how you came about your spiritual name. I also have a spiritual name that came to me. Its of course Sadies Journey and it came to me just this past july after a long hard year of changes and heartbreak, so its a keeper.

Like you I never searched out a name, it found me.

stay blessed