Friday 8 July 2011

My Favourite Jet


While we're on the topic of the Winnipeg Jets, just thought I'd mention that Teemu Selänne was always my favourite Jet. The Finnish Flash was an outstanding player, winning the Calder Trophy for best rookie of 1992. And he's gone on to achieve all kinds of records in his almost 20-year career since then. Plus he won the Stanley Cup with the Anaheim Ducks in 2007. No player has deserved it more, in my opinion.

But the reason he was my favourite Jet is that he was (and, I'm sure, still is) a Class Act of the absolute first order. He did an awful lot of charity work in Winnipeg and always looked genuinely pleased to do it. He was especially great interacting with kids, friendly and involved.

Teemu Selänne is one of the players featured in this great clip about what it feels like to win the Stanley Cup. Hockey players tend not to be terribly articulate at the best of times, but winning the Stanley Cup is so overwhelming that there are "no words" to describe it. That's Teemu at 0:19 of the clip, manfully holding back the tears and tugging at his hat. That says it all.

23 comments:

Suzie said...

It is always enlightening to learn that someone that you admire in the public eye, whether a sports figure, or a celebrity, is a good person beyond the limelight.

Thanks for sharing this story, I never knew of him before, but it warms my heart to learn of not only his talent, but his compassion.

DEZMOND said...

it's so nice when celebs use their fame for charity work, wish we had more such stars.

The Dancing Crone said...

Great blog. Great guy. Just what I needed to read this morning. Thanks Debra.

Jeanne said...

I remember the year he played for the Colorado Avalanche (my Fav Hockey team - next to Vancouver). He was such a gentleman. While I enjoy the scuffles at the hockey games, I truly appreciate the good athletes who are also good role models.

Laeli said...

Aww,sweet man:)

Mistress Maddie said...

Awwwwwww now that is cute. I don't follow sports though. What is it they do with that big stick? LOL!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

just stopping in to say Hello today, my friend

kary and l'il teddy

Robin Larkspur said...

great clip! sweaty, teary and speechless!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

unfortunately...just like one ever has just one mouse, one never has just one stink bug. but maybe you could have 10 mice. me thinks you have 1000's of stink bugs....ugh!!!! kill me now!

yellowdoggranny said...

now I feel bad we won...very nice man.

Elena said...

So good to hear that someone on top can be inspirational.

mermaid gallery said...

nice guy alright........good inspiration for many....

Tricky Nag said...

That's what I love about the smaller market teams - the guys that do the extra get the recognition they deserve because the whole city knows what they are doing and every one appreciates them!

The Onion Gypsy said...

i love that he uses his fame for good, what a sweet man :)

Copyboy said...

"What about Mark Messier?" Says the NYer that doesn't know much about hockey.

BTW...made you new blog of the day.

Anonymous said...

That video is legit. I love your blog!

TIMMYTHEROBOT said...

Loved Teemu, one of my favorite hockey players of all time. Right up there with Fleury.

Makropoulos said...

A hockey fan? Dare I say: Go Sabres?

Magixx said...

great post!
keep it up

Jim said...

This fella is one of the good guys. Good to see the softer side of hockey.
Debra, you are one of a kind.....your knowledge is so diverse that I always look forward to your posts.

Anne Johnson said...

Nice to know there are a few good men left in pro sports. Most of them are hockey players. I say this because my husband is a sports writer, and that's his opinion.

Dreaming of Jeanie said...

He's dreamy!

baili said...

amazing star :)
glad you shred you favorite Debra !