Sunday 15 October 2023

This Week's Sunday Seven


ACCOMPLISHED: Put away my balcony furniture in its wintertime storage space. Another summer gone!

ATE: Had a lovely lunch of baked brie in puff pastry and a salad at Café Bicyclette, located in Edmonton's French cultural centre, La Cité Francophone. Got caught up with a friend who just got back from Greece.

SAW: My lunch friend and I then went to the Women's Art Museum of Canada, also located in La Cité Francophone, to see its current exhibit called "MATRI-Art-Key," portraits by Western Canadian women artists of older women who embody resilience and perseverance. This portrait was one of my faves: "Rare Bird in the Garden" by Ann-Marie Brown --


BINGE-WATCHED: Season 3 of Only Murders in the Building (streams on Disney+ in Canada, Hulu in the USA). Another outstanding and hilarious romp involving my favourite amateur sleuths! I laughed out loud several times in each and every cleverly-written and witty episode. In addition to the central murder-mystery plot, this season also satirizes cloying Canadian Maritimes-themed musicals (à la Come From Away), patter songs (à la Gilbert & Sullivan), and superhero movies/actors (à la Marvel).

SHOPPED: At an early Christmas Gift Shop set up in the St. Albert Botanic Park.

LEARNED: Burnishing techniques for putting the finishing touches on coloured pencils art.

And the most important
thing of all this week . . . .

CONTEMPLATED YET AGAIN: That there is no greater blessing in this world than to live in a country at peace.

25 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

when we were transfered back to the states we had the opportunity to stay in canada. i can't tell you how many times i wished that we had. i would love to see the matri-art-key!

Bob said...

That last one ... sigh ... if it were only true for all the world.

Liz Hinds said...

WE started watching Murders in the Building but our connection must have been bad as it kept freezing. WE must try again.

Travel said...

A great week,

Boud said...

That last is so true. Our week is unimaginable to people in some regions.

Pixie said...

I'm still watching Murders In The Building when I have time alone. I love Steve Martin and Selena Gomez. She hasn't had an easy life but she's honest about her struggles and I admire that.

I like this format, it's different and interesting. The world seems to be a horror show right now. Just when you think, it can't get worse, it does. Pretty sure this has been a familiar theme througout the history of humankind sadly.

Moving with Mitchell said...

You had me all the way through. The last reached into my heart. May we, at least, continue to be blessed. And may it spread.

Cleora Borealis said...

"Only Murders.." is always great and this season has been a joy for us musical theater nerds!! The tops for me was Matthew Broderick and the Ferris Bueller callbacks...watch close or you'll miss them!! 🤗

Mike said...

One of these days all the religions will kiss and make up. Then there will be world peace. HA!

Old Lurker said...

Yes, another summer gone. *sob*

Parlez-vous français? J'ai oubliée tout.

angela said...

Very busy but enjoyable.
Yes. Peace is lovely but unfortunately there are always those that want to stir things up.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Old Lurker -- Oui, j'en parle un petit peu. J'ai aussi beaucoup oublieé pendant des années.

roentare said...

Only murders in the building is such a fun show. I watched the season 3 as well. It is really kind of retro and romantic to watch the whole series.

Joanne Noragon said...

What a week! That which was and yet to come. So many on the move, no home, no care.

Janie Junebug said...

I wish I lived in a country at peace. No, we have not been attacked by Hamas, but trump attacks our democracy and insults our intelligence every single day. I don't know if we'll ever recover. He's turned against Israel, too, of course, and pronounces Hamas like hummus. What a butthead.

Love,
Janie

Busy Bee Suz said...

The "Rare Bird In The Garden" is a lovely piece!
You've had a busy and fulfilling week; the best kind to have.
Yes, wishing the entire world could live in peace; what a dream that is.

Bill Lisleman said...

I also watched this last season of Only Murders in the Building. I season 2 was a bit more interesting with those secret passages in the building. Meryl Steep was a joy to watch.

Ur-spo said...

Yes Canada is a marvelous place to live.

Kirk said...

Oh, yeah, the last one. Dispiriting what's going in the neverending fight over a land once called Canaan.

Marie Smith said...

Love this glimpse of time in your life. I’ve done so many similar things recently…would love that exhibit too.

e said...

What a busy week! I loved that portrait of the Rare Bird. Could have been my mum...
Grateful that we have a modicum of peace and heartbroken for those around the world who don't.

The Blog Fodder said...

The Sunday Seven is a great Blog Outline. As we wish for peace, the world is going to Hell in handbasket round us. The list just keeps getting longer. I am glad I am old, to be honest. 15 to 25 more years and I am good to go. The Economist had an article about living to 120 years. Scares me.

This N That said...

Sounds like a fun and rewarding day..I don't know about burnishing..I'll have to research it!!

Adam said...

Been tempted to watch Only Murders in the Building

yellowdoggranny said...

I think I might be the only one that didn't like season 3 of murders in the building...it was ok..but just wasn't all that funny to me..might be all this heat too thats boiled my brain.