Sunday 22 October 2023

This Week's Sunday Seven


ENJOYED: the last few days of summery weather we'll see in Edmonton for the next six months. Sub-zero temperatures are imminent and we'll have snow next week.

ATTENDED: the "Night of Artists" Art Walk at Bonnie Doon mall. Lots of different styles of art with artists in attendance made for a pleasant walkabout experience.

GOT IMMORTALIZED FOR POSTERITY: in a caricature done by one of the Art Walk artists, Laurél Hawkswell. She did an amazing job, even capturing my Hawaiian shirt with its turtles motif --


AND SPEAKING OF POSTERITY: retained a lawyer to revise and update my will, enduring power of attorney, and personal directive. Had a very productive and informative meeting with her.

UNEXPECTEDLY RECONNECTED: with an old friend from my Women's Drumming and Goddess Chanting Circle days. We ran into each other at a seniors recreation centre where I take an art class. So nice to see her again!

RIPPED UP AND THREW IN THE GARBAGE: my drawing from this week's Pen and Ink art class, because it looked like a bad acid trip. I'll just tell the instructor that my dog ate it. Note To Self -- go to Humane Society and adopt a misbehaving dog.

BINGE-WATCHED: I must be one of the last people in the world not to have already seen the BBC series Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, but I finally crossed it off my "to watch" list. Oh, this series is SO clever and well written! I love how the original stories are updated for our modern age and sensibilities. Plus I admit to being a bit of a fangirlish Cumberbitch. Those cheekbones! That turned-up coat collar!


26 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

SNOW!!!!!!!!! KEEP IT!

Love the caricature!!!!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i am a cumberbitch too! what a talent! and he can dance too!!!

Bob said...

Love the caricature!
I loved that version of Sherlock, and while I am a wee Cumberbitch, it was where I first noticed the delightfully adorable Martin Freeman!

Moving with Mitchell said...

The caricature is excellent! SG couldn't get into Sherlock (didn't try). Thanks for the reminder; I need to watch it on my own. Also, thanks for the reminder regarding wills, etc. We need to get ours done for Spain. I would have liked seeing your acid trip.

Travel said...

No need to get a dog, HRH won't eat it, but will likely find another way to express her opinion on it.

Boud said...

I'm off today to pick up the DVD of season one of Sherlock! Despite my resistance to Cumberbatch because I'm assured it's very good anyway..

Frank said...

Please don’t blame a dog. They are all innocent.

Marcia LaRue said...

That particular headshot of Cumberbatch is gasp-worthy! Wow!
I would have liked to see your acid trip, too!
I did up my own Will, got it notarized at my credit union, and it only cost me the price of the Last Will and Testament Kit!

Old Lurker said...

I feel sharing your bad acid trips with your adoring fanbase is the least you could do. (also that Hawaiian shirt?)

It is great that you reconnected with your friend. I suppose that is a less snarky comment than is specified in my commenter contract, but there are too many people who drift away and then are never heard from again.

Mike said...

"revise and update" Do you have "trusts" up there. By putting things in a trust down here you avoid probate.

Parnassus said...

Debra! You have probably deprived the world of your greatest masterpiece. By the way, I was going to send a link to a dog-ate-homework cartoon, but when I looked it up, there are literally thousands of them!
--Jim

Tundra Bunny said...

I had only seen bits and pieces of Sherlock when it first aired on PBS and found it annoying, but the CBC re-aired the series this summer and I watched the whole thing. I quite liked it this time!

Good caricature of you too!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Mike -- Oh yes, trusts are a long-standing legal device available in Canada.

Jennifer said...

I love your portrait!! Awesome!!!!

I like Sherlock, too. :)

roentare said...

So good to reconnect with old friends. I love that very much

Marie Smith said...

Love the caricature and that new Sherlock.

John M said...

I also must update my will.
I like the change of seasons, but not if the snow traps me in my house.
Wish I would bump into an old friend.

Ur-spo said...

What a delightful picture you make !

Richard said...

I always enjoy the art that you share with us. I will respect your artistic decision. I learned a new word from this post- "cumberbitch". O haha! He is kinda cute. I like the caricature.

Kirk said...

Love the caricature. You look like yow were in quite the good mood when it was drawn.

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

LOVE the idea of having a caricature made of me. People have made their versions of a photo of me, but never a free-hand drawing.
And Sherlock is such a fun binge watch! It's so gay. And I love Andrew Scott as Moriarty...


XOXO

baili said...

Wow i LOVED your shirt drawing dear Debra ,she must be wonderful artist ,loved your amazing smile as always :)

sounds you had great week . meeting old friend from dance circle days sounds nice .
sorry for art acid trip case ,better best of luck next time .i absolutely Love your art such an honest and beautiful work that touches heart instantly
Sherlock series i just checked as i enjoy investigative shows but Netflix no longer has it .
hugs

e said...

It sounds like a good week, all in all. Other than the art homework... which probably wasn't as bad as you think.

I've not seen Sherlock but that picture of Mr Cumberbatch looks so much like my friend's son that I wonder if he gets stopped in London and asked for autographs.

yellowdoggranny said...

I love this..and you were a busy girl..love the drawing..love that face.
when I went to see cujo he said it was time to have the time of life talk...just to fuck with him im putting him in charge.

Busy Bee Suz said...

You have accomplished MUCH this past week. Doing the wills/trusts/etc is tedious, but necessary.
What shall you name that misbehaving Dog? Peanut? Biscuit? 😜😳
I love your caricature; very cute!!

This N That said...

I love Cumberbatch..He looks like he has makeup on those cheek bones...
Great caricature...
Tore up your drawing??? No reason to get a dog!! Not its fault you had a bad day!!!
I hope that lawyer left you something to leave!!